Esox in Canada

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MomentaryLapseOfReason_*

Guest_MomentaryLapseOfReason_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hello. I live in Ontario, Canada and am interested in keeping esox. Where would i go about acquiring a fish from this family? and would i be able to keep any of these fish survive in a 30 gallon aquarium?

Thanks,
MomentaryLapseOfReason

#2 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

I wouldn't keep a grass/redfin in anything less then a 55. A larger species like northern or the musky will grow longer then the 30 gallon tank easilly. YOu need a hyoooooooge tank to keep a larger esox. Much larger then a typical person would ever consider owning :) . Get a larger tank and get a pickerel, otherwise I'd find a different fish.

#3 Guest_MomentaryLapseOfReason_*

Guest_MomentaryLapseOfReason_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:59 PM

alright thanks for your help.
MomentaryLapseOfReason

#4 Guest_canadian_*

Guest_canadian_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hey I'm in Ontario as well. I feel your pain I've wanted to keep a northern pike ever since they day I laid eyes on one, unfortunately I have two 25 gallon tanks both of which are empty at the moment.

#5 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

you can keep any esox in a 30 gallon. get yourself a 3-4 inch northern pike and release it back into the wild when it is 9-10 inches long. repeat.

one grass pickerel (if you can obtain one) would be fine as well. some only get to about 8-9 inches as an adult. i feel this is fine for a 30 gallon. good filtration, frequent water changes, and dense plants would make any esox feel at home in such a tank.

M.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:03 AM

you can keep any esox in a 30 gallon. get yourself a 3-4 inch northern pike and release it back into the wild when it is 9-10 inches long. repeat.

NANFA does not promote the release of any fish back into the wild.

#7 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Not only does NANFA not promote it, it is illegal in just about every circumstance.

#8 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

luckily, and thank goodness, i have never.....ever....done that.

thanks for the tip.

M.

#9 Guest_mishmosh_*

Guest_mishmosh_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

What is the rationale for this? Isn't this the basis for hatcheries?

#10 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

What is the rationale for this? Isn't this the basis for hatcheries?

http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=442

#11 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

well, i sure didn't mean to open a bag of worms.

personally, not that i have ever done it, i do not see the harm of releasing a pike after a few months of observation in an aquarium back into it's native water (point of origin). perhaps that is a reflection of my ignorance.

i know when i was at the university of michigan, the fish that we caught in the field and studied for a semester were released back into the wild after a few months.

for the record, i respect NANFA's official stance.

M.

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

well, i sure didn't mean to open a bag of worms.

personally, not that i have ever done it, i do not see the harm of releasing a pike after a few months of observation in an aquarium back into it's native water (point of origin). perhaps that is a reflection of my ignorance.

i know when i was at the university of michigan, the fish that we caught in the field and studied for a semester were released back into the wild after a few months.

for the record, i respect NANFA's official stance.

M.

The odds are, nothing would happen after a few months of observation but you know what happens when you play with odds. If you play them enough, you're certain to lose at some point.

#13 Guest_canadian_*

Guest_canadian_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

I think the main reason you cannot and should not release fish back into the wild is because if they have contracted any viruses while in your care other animal life in body of water you release them into may contract this virus as well. (even if the fish seems fine viruses stay in there system forever and can act up at any time) Currently over here in Ontario in one of are lakes all the carp are dieing no other fish have been effected just the carp which are dieing by the thousands, someone may have released a carp with this virus into the water, and for the record I have seen people releasing carp into the wild I could elaborate but I dont feel the need to but can if asked.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users