Couple of ID questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:29 PM

Had a productive day sampling an oxbow lake near the Ohio River today and came across a few fish I'm not 100% sure on. Wanted to get a little board input if possible.

Is this a Spotted Bass instead of a Largemouth? Looking at the mouth hinge in relation to the eye.

Attached File  image.jpeg   118.8KB   2 downloads

Think I've narrowed this down to the Morone genus. ?Juvenile White Perch

Attached File  image.jpeg   88.63KB   2 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   67.62KB   2 downloads

Wonder about Mud Darter here

Attached File  image.jpeg   75.58KB   2 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   34.24KB   2 downloads

Is this a juvenile Longnose gar? There are 3 species of gar in this area. Sadly gar are apparently not appreciated by the locals. Found several carcasses along the bank.
Attached File  image.jpeg   64.44KB   2 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   53.78KB   2 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   105.7KB   3 downloads

Thoughts appreciated.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

I have no opinion on the white perch, but the rest seem correct to me.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:57 AM

A nice day in the water indeed! Can not help you with the bass or the darter. Bass drive me nuts, for a fish so not small they are sure hard to tell apart sometimes. I've only ever seen Mud Darters once, and they were colored up, but they didn't look much like those guys in your post. Would tend to agree with you on the Morone call; don't know which one. The gar definitely looks longnose to me, just like the little ones we have here in SC. What are your other two gar?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

I have a bunch of Spotted Bass, Largemouth Bass and Spotted x Largemouth that will be pictured shortly for comparison.  Fish in top image does not look look straight Spotted to me and hybrids are out there.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Western KY has Longnose, Shortnose and Spotted gar. Actually I think that the KDFWR is restocking Alligator gar in some areas too.

I have a bunch of Spotted Bass, Largemouth Bass and Spotted x Largemouth that will be pictured shortly for comparison.  Fish in top image does not look look straight Spotted to me and hybrids are out there.

What age do juvenile Spotted bass develop the rough patches on their tongue? Do hybrids carry that trait?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users