3 Way Hybrid Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PondNewby

PondNewby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Florida

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:53 PM

I am getting some Bluegill/Redear hybrid sunfish fry for my smallish (1/4 acre) fish pond.  I'm just wondering if crossing those back to a different pure sunfish strain would have any potential.  I was thinking about trying to use a warmouth which would be a substitute for the green sunfish,  often used but not native to my area (Florida.). I have very little knowledge of the basics of hybridization and no idea whether it is productive to go beyond 2 types of sunfish.  Maybe a better question would be, "Is there reference material explaining the basics of the hybrid phenomena?"

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:27 PM

Most hybrids you have so far are likely male.  Choose a couple nice big and pretty males for the cross.  Females of that cross have had very low fertility for me.  Then add a couple female Warmouth that have good bellies.  Just a couple spawns will saturate your ponds late season productivity.  Hopefully the Bluegill side overrides the Redear wanting to conclude breeding season, otherwise wait for next season.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 PondNewby

PondNewby
  • NANFA Guest
  • Florida

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:53 AM

Okay, thanks for the help.  At least I know now that crossing an F1 with a third "pure-strain" sunfish is not taboo.  I probably won't get this happening 'til next season.  Pardon my lack of proper terms to describe all this.

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

Some natural populations are a product of two and possibly three way hybrids long ago.  You represent one.  A few years back such thoughts would come across as heresy I think even among the purist fish geeks.  I know that to be so with some as had to deal with the repercussions from them.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users