Photo

Snail Bullhead, right?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

Conducted a census of the stock tank pond yesterday. Not normally something I'd do in July, but it was only getting to the high 70s (8zillion% humidity, but take the win where you can)and I was curious to see how things were going in there.

This charmin' fella below came from a drainage here in SC that houses bullheads of both the Snail and Flat persuasion. It was cute as the dickens, and since none of the bullheads it could be are listed, I brought it home. He's been in the pond a couple years now, and has been growing pretty good. Never seemed to get a good enough look or picture to feel confident calling it one or the other up till now. But I think the following two looks are enough to nail it down as a Snail...

With advance apologies for pictures of non-microscopic,actually-in-focus pictures...

Attached File  DSCN3646.JPG   95.9KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSCN3643.JPG   115.64KB   1 downloads

Whatcha think?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

Anal ray count and barbel pigment are the two main differences; see Fritz's book.  I'd lean toward snail, but more closeups of anal fin (" count all rays, even smallest rudiments"), maxillary barbels and chin barbels would help confirm it.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, Gerald. I blew the picture up, and when I tried to estimate how many more anal fin rays were hiding in there, I couldn't get the estimated count high enough to be a Flat. I was hoping the little bit of barbels we got in the second pic were enough to help confirm... Looks like my photography prowess haunts us still!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

Barbel looks snail to me.  Flat would be obviously bi-colored.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users