Photo

How to Breed Red Shiners in an Aquarium?

1 reply to this topic

#1 jungleexplorer

jungleexplorer
  • NANFA Guest
  • Texas

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

I live in Central Texas close to a tributary to the Brazos River.  The Red Shiner (Cyprinella lutrensisis native to this river system and I capture out of the river to keep in my 55 gallon aquarium, because they are so beautiful. I have both males and females living in my aquarium and they are very happy.  I would like to try to see if I can successfully breed them.  I have looked online to find a guide about how to do this, but have not really found anything that I would consider authoritative on the subject.  I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.  Much thanks in advance.

#2 Knyghtryder

Knyghtryder
  • NANFA Guest
  • Chicago,Il

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

Most shiners are egg scatterers that exhibit little parental care. Emphasis little. Generally they search cobble and riffle to spawn over. These stony rocky areas have crevices which stops their eggs from being eaten.To mimic this in an aquarium use an even sand substrate or dirt or bare bottom and add a bowl or plastic dish of pebbles or gravel. They will naturally spawn over the stones in the dish then just remove the bowl. The challenge in an aquarium will be providing enough temp fluctuation to seasonally condition them. Many smaller temperate/coldwater fish have short life spans basically under 5 years. Which means they have one or two chances to breed period. A fish that lives 3 years will need at least one year as a juvie before being of breeding age. Then they only have ~1 more years to go. A fish that lives 4 years would only have ~2 etc. Even bullfrogs spend over ~1 as tadpole juveniles. The good news is that red shiners arent from paticularly cold waters and are highly adaptable and hardy. Good luck

Edited by Knyghtryder, 17 October 2019 - 11:28 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users