Photo

Why Trout Swim Behind Rocks

8 replies to this topic

#1 Redfin

Redfin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Border of Chicago & Des Plaines Watershed and Cuyahoga Basin

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

I found this video really interesting.  Not only is the information cool but everything they do to obtain and showcase the information is neat.

https://youtu.be/aRWgqDi-ihs

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

That is interesting. Surf the eddies and using less oxygen, while not having to activate their muscles.

I think this is a much better way to say what many of us have seen snorkeling and in tanks. Fish that live in high flow dont really need the high flow and actually avoid it. They are just managing the environment that offers them other things... like higher oxygen and more food items brought to them by the stream.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Redfin

Redfin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Border of Chicago & Des Plaines Watershed and Cuyahoga Basin

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

I agree, the fish manage to live there but don't require the current. 

I just saw the channel recently and he has a lot of interesting videos where he mostly talks about largemouth bass and it shows really interesting details and analytics.

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

I like the philosophical line at the end, "The water swims the fish".

Some food for thought; I wonder if by removing flow in a captive environment from a fish that is normally found in high flow/oxygen waters, we actually create a situation where they end up using more energy/oxygen than they would in the wild?  This being that they have to swim [in our tanks] rather than navigate the flow using minimal effort.

Nick L.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Ok Nick, just for fun Ill take the opposing view.

In the wild there are limited resources that the fish has to go out and get. Leaving the protection of the rock/eddy. Going from that resting eddy to the high flow and back again must take a lot of energy. And its a one shot deal, if you miss, the flow takes the food away.

In a tank there is free food (unless they have to compete with my shiners!) that is introduced in a much lower flow. And if you is, the food hits the bottom of the tank. So energy expended might be less.

We will not really get an answer without an experiment.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:52 AM

Yes, the availability and frequency of food is another factor to consider.  I'm guessing that temperature plays a big role too, as it pertains to metabolic rates.  Few of us have chillers running on our stream tanks at home vs. a naturally cool(er), mountainous stream.  As you stated, experimentation is really the only way but I like the discussion nevertheless.

Nick L.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

Temp and metabolism is a good point. They are likely burning more energy just operating at the higher ambient temp. Maybe there is a balance there somewhere.

We need a grad student to get on this for us!

#8 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

watching fish they don't go back into position the same way they left, they take the easy way in

#9 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:05 AM

Why do brook trout fight to be the one in front of the pool? I saw that this summer. Chasing other trout away.

Why do smaller brook trout station themselves higher up in the pools slopes than big ones? Is it just to avoid predation?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users