Photo

keeping young largemouth bass

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:15 AM

so, i occasionally pick up a 1- 1and1/2 in. baby bass from a local spring while collecting other fish, i know that shouldn't happen, but it does. any way , they seem to be ok for about a week or so , along with the other little fish , killies and shiners, chubs, then suddenly die, has happened at least 3 times. do young bass have some special needs i don't know about?

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

In my experience they are very hardy.  Have your last 3 attempts been during the summer?  Typically, fish are more susceptible to disease during the warmer months and once in a closed system [tank] the pathogen multiplies and the fish succumbs.   Also, we don't know any of your husbandry methods.  I'm not suggesting poor care, but it may also be a factor.

Nick L.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Fundulus can be mean little fin nipping boogers.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

they are in a22 gal tank with blue fins, rainwater, and pygmy killies, dwarf livebearers, snails, cherry shrimp, immature red eyed chub and immature coastal shiners, large mass of java moss, i feed flake and small pellets daily and baby brine shrimp mostly every other day, they were taken from a cool spring fed pond in summer, fish room is air conditioned, water changed weekly or at least every 2 weeks. I'm wondering if they need a live food i don't have . 

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

Sounds like they have all the live food they can handle. I am curious about the spring part. I have consistently had more trouble with individuals caught from springs than I have had with individuals of the same species caught from less stable environments. I would have never thought LMB would have any trouble with this though.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

May be a blessing in disguise. LMB will quickly outgrow most tanks and take out any micro species in the process.

#7 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users