20 long native fish paludarium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

I thought some might enjoy this setup. It's a soft water aquarium with a ~6 ph. This is because, while the fish are natives, the original reason I set this tank up was for my orchid that is a lithophyte from cloud forests in Peru and grows with its roots in water. While it was originally just going to be nothing except shrimp. Now I have 3 flagfish (1m, 2f) and some mosquito fish. I also have a Spanish ribbed newt in there as he needed to be moved from my other tank.
Attached File  IMG_2341.JPG   226.73KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2343.JPG   219.58KB   4 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2342.JPG   198.33KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2344.JPG   169.85KB   3 downloads

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Good set up.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

I like it, too.  Just be careful; moist newts/salamanders can easily stick to glass and climb up corners on an uncovered tank!

Nick L.

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Tugging at my heart strings.  I've wanted to do a setup like this for some time.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

I like it, too.  Just be careful; moist newts/salamanders can easily stick to glass and climb up corners on an uncovered tank!

Spanish ribbed newts apparently can't climb glass. I have the glass pane in the back so it can't use the plants for escape

Good set up.

Tugging at my heart strings.  I've wanted to do a setup like this for some time.

thank you! I'm really happy I've finally made an aquarium that looks this good.

I sprinkled some (suppose to be) Hygrophila corymbosa seeds on some of the spaghnum moss and rock and it's starting to grow there. will get pictures later. 

My male flagfish looks like he does a spawning dance with the female, but I haven't seen any eggs even after they just finish their dance. 

Also, I wish I could put some crustaceans in there, but they die within 24-36 hours... My snails, fish, and newt are all doing well and have not shown any signs of harm for the 2 months this has been going.

Any recommendation on what I can do for inverts and what might be the reason all the shrimp and dwarf crayfish always die so fast?

will the mosquito fish have their young? I read they won't drop their young if they feel like it's risky. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users