Photo

Does anyone know about the legalities of plant collection in Maryland?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

It is illegal to collect plants anywhere that I have looked into, but I am also wondering if there is a way to apply for a permit perhaps. It probably would be easier to go to a pond store - but there are not any that are very near to me. The local aquarium stores mostly sell stuff for tropical, so my selection there is limited.

#2 Fmajalis

Fmajalis
  • NANFA Guest
  • New York

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:43 AM

This info is too late for this season,  but in general,  lands that are run by the USDA forestry service have the most permissible collection laws,  in my experience. You still may need a permit depending on what you want to collect,  but would have to contact your regional center.  However,  I'm not sure of your state or county laws, so collection permits may be feasible on state lands, too.   

Some plants native to Maryland that may be available in stores include:  lizard's tail (Saururus cernuus),  cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), creeping rush (Juncus repens), Elodea canadensis (IF legal),  Cabomba caroliniana (again,  may have legal issues), mermaid weed (Proserpinaca palustris), Eleocharis acicularis, and (if properly labeled) jungle val (Vallisineria Americana),  and (if properly labeled)  dwarf sag  (Sagittaria subulata)

Edited by Fmajalis, 22 December 2018 - 12:46 AM.

#3 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

I just saw this post so hence the late response. I forgot about contacting the USDA, thank you for reminding me. I did contact the national forest near me - they only offer scientific collection permits, but as far as I can tell, USDA will offer personal use permits.  I did lots of research on local aquatic plants and I think most of the ones you mention are on the list. I saw a couple of the ones you mentioned on Buce Plant. I did some research on lizards tail but came to the conclusion that it would be tough for the home aquarium - I don't even remember why. One plant you didn't mention in your post, three way sedge, seems like it might be interesting to try but I could not find any information or stories about it being used in aquaria.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users