Southeast US Victory Lap Tour - The Photos

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Howdy folks, just back from my victory lap tour of the SE US. This page will be morphing as I have time to write content and post things. Is there anyway I can hide it as I work on it?

I'll also have posts in the Inverts and Native Plants, as I did a lot of photography with those topics as well. For now, I'll work on this particular page. This is a dream, not having to fuss with html to post my trip!

At current count, I saw 104 species of fish in the 5 watersheds I visited.

My stops along the way were:

The Duck River between Columbia and Shelbyville, TN

ashy.jpg
Ashy Darter, Etheostoma cinereum (ST)

ashy_head.jpg
Ashy Darter, Etheostoma cinereum (ST)

slenderhead.jpg
Slenderhead Darter, Percina phoxocephala

streamlinechub.jpg
Streamline Chub, Erimystax dissimilis

coppercheek_female.jpg
Coppercheek Darter (female), Etheostoma aquali (ST)

coppercheek.jpg
Coppercheek Darter, Etheostoma aquali (ST)

gold.jpg
Gold Darter, Etheostoma denoncourti (SSC)
(Formerly known as Tippecanoe Darter, E. tippecanoe)

saffron.jpg
Saffron Darter, Etheostoma flavum

The Blackwater River between Crestview and Pensacola, FL

florida_sand.jpg
Florida Sand Darter, Ammocrypta bifascia

rough_shiner.jpg
Rough Shiner, Notropis baileyi

rough_head.jpg
Rough Shiner, Notropis baileyi

brown.jpg
Brown Darter, Etheostoma edwini

gulf.jpg
Gulf Darter, Etheostoma swaini

pygmy_killi.jpg
Pygmy Killifish, Leptolucania ommata

sailfin.jpg
Sailfin Shiner, Pteronotropis hypselopterus

Tate's Hell Swamp (New River and Oclochnee Drainages, if you can call it that) near Carabelle, FL

bull_topmminnow.jpg
Banded Topminnow, Fundulus cingulatus

dollar.jpg
Dollar Sunfish, Lepomis marginatus

flier.jpg
Flier, Centrarchus macropterus

lake_chubsucker.jpg
Lake Chubsucker, Erimyzon sucetta

redfin.jpg
Chain Pickerel, Esox niger

Wakulla River and Springs, Wakulla Springs, FL

Conasauga River, near Chattanooga, TN

Todd

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

I guess Mississippi is right out? We're still in the piscene rainforest, don'tchaknow.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

Great trip and pics Todd. I am so jealous.

I am fairly certain that the pickerel you have there is a chain rather than a redfin. The grandis looks odd too, but I can put my finger on it. I don't remember that fish having that type of snout or reddish tinted fins.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

Great pics, looks like a fun time.

The pickerel's snout appears too long to be a redfin. I'm with Dustin and would call it a chain.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

I'll join the club too and say the tail is prety deeply forked to be a redfin and I would say it's a chain too.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

Great trip and pics Todd. I am so jealous.

I am fairly certain that the pickerel you have there is a chain rather than a redfin. The grandis looks odd too, but I can put my finger on it. I don't remember that fish having that type of snout or reddish tinted fins.

Thanks Dustin and crew. I didn't even think about it. I guess that makes 105. Wait till you hear what we did with the redfin pickerel :)

The grandis was way up a blackwater river. There were also hogchoker present, which I can't believe I forgot to add to the page.

Maybe I'll get to write some text tonight.

Todd

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

Rather than Fundulus grandis, is it F. similis, the longnose killifish a.k.a. tiger minnow? The snout looks too long in that photo, and the fish doesn't have that solid robust look of grandis ("bull minnow") but rather the sleeker look of similis. I was just looking at some longnoses today at the Estuarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, so it's fresh.

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Rather than Fundulus grandis, is it F. similis, the longnose killifish a.k.a. tiger minnow? The snout looks too long in that photo, and the fish doesn't have that solid robust look of grandis ("bull minnow") but rather the sleeker look of similis. I was just looking at some longnoses today at the Estuarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, so it's fresh.

The snout does look more like similis to me as well, but the body color is decidedly not similis. I have never seen a live speciment without the striping or barring pattern. The reddish fins really have me stumped as well. What about washed out seminole?

#9 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

I am keeping both grandis and similis right now and I am pretty sure it's neither of them.

#10 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

Tates Hell is too fresh for me to expect Fundulus grandis or F. similis, and too far west for F. seminolis. My money is on it being a washed-out funky F. cingulatus...

Cheers,
Dave

#11 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

When did the common name of Tippecanoe Darter change to Golden Darter? Or did I miss something..? I can tell some of these are underwater shots too...which ones are underwater and which ones are photo tank? You do a great job with both.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

When did the common name of Tippecanoe Darter change to Golden Darter? Or did I miss something..? I can tell some of these are underwater shots too...which ones are underwater and which ones are photo tank? You do a great job with both.

It didn't. There was a split of E. tippecanoe in the Cumberlandian Province for E. denoncourti.

Thanks for your compliment, mission accomplished. These were all photographed in a 2.5 gal aquarium besides the gold darter and the pygmy killifish. Those were done in the little AquaZoo hand tank I have.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users