Photo

Hello from Southern Indiana

20 replies to this topic

#1 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hello, new to the forum obviously. Our children have been avidly interested in fish as many kids are. When considering this, I remember back to beautiful red and blue fish some friends and I had discovered in a creek. That then ignited an idea to couple a portion of their interest with education in our local area. To that end we are starting/have started a native tank, just this past weekend.

Even though we spend a lot of time outside and have done so my entire life, I am now amazed at how much I've overlooked.

Thanks for having us!

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:24 PM

Hope you find the help you need here. That is a mighty fine reason to become interested in what is below the surface in your backyard waterways. I cannot encourage you enough to bring the family to a convention. You would be surprised about how much technique you might pick up. Fun to meet everyone as well.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:14 PM

RCB - welcome to the forum!  Family adventures collecting and identifying fish can be great as well as learning to keep and breed the fish in your area!  It provides a common goal that requires more cooperation than competition and many, many levels of learning for everyone throughout the whole process - best of luck!

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Welcome to NANFA.  

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Thank you for all the welcomes! What a new and fascinating world for my whole family.

#6 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

Where in southern Indiana?

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#7 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:05 PM

Welcome to NANFA

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#8 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:26 AM

Where in southern Indiana?

Between Bedford and Brownstown, near the south end of 446. A place called Leesville.

#9 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

Between Bedford and Brownstown, near the south end of 446. A place called Leesville.

I have messed around in your area as from from Spencer county down by the Ohio River. 

#10 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

I have messed around in your area as from from Spencer county down by the Ohio River. 

Oh cool. Are there any groups around (the southern half of the state) that ever get together?

#11 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:46 PM

I no longer have time to sample but others in Indiana are present and I have met with some.  Hopefully they will find your interest.

#12 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

Mike Berg gets some things put together when he has time. Jason L. is pretty active just across the river. Might message them and see what's going on.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#13 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:59 PM

I would like to set up a get together in southern Indiana again, work is taking up all my time at the moment, been working 7 days a week since Labor day. But hopefully I get a break soon & get something set up. I will post it once it's a go.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#14 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:53 AM

Some of us in Illinois might be interested in a collecting trip in that area. Mike, please keep us in the loop.

Phil Nixon

#15 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

I'll keep an eye out then. I've always enjoyed fishing and manner of critter but this is definitely a new avenue I've not really delved into before and the kids are really enjoying it.

#16 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

Keep me posted on trips!

#17 bflowers

bflowers
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:12 PM

Welcome to NANFA

Welcome to NANFA and glad to hear about someone else from Indiana. I haven't been on here in years,but coming back. 

By the way I am just Southwest of Indy near Mooresville.

Bill

#18 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

Ah, yes I actually work in Martinsville so not too far away during the day. I put around sometimes at lunch and keep thinking of hunting down some local creeks there.

#19 bflowers

bflowers
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

Ah, yes I actually work in Martinsville so not too far away during the day. I put around sometimes at lunch and keep thinking of hunting down some local creeks there.

Will have to get together sometime before it gets to cold.

Bill

#20 rcb

rcb
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Will have to get together sometime before it gets to cold.

Bill

Any good spots around martinsville? I can always make an extended lunch outting! :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users