Photo

Cold months - do your minnow traps perform ?

6 replies to this topic

#1 JackieFisher

JackieFisher
  • NANFA Guest
  • Delaware

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

I live in Montana and in November it starts to get cold. Last year I did minnow trapping from June to November and around the same small creek and a pond. Chub, dace, suckers. When the daytime temperature dropped below 55 it went horrible. I used to get a few to dozens in my trap in the summer and early fall, but in colder season ( I pick warmest days, but...) it dropped to close to nothing. Maybe one occasionally. 

This year probably I gotta try again.So  do you guys know of any strategy to improve yield in cold climate/ late fall?  Should I switch to longer waiting time (1/2 - 1 day I did)? Should I do overnight or over-day? Further upstream in creek or closer to mouth of creek? I know they hide under banks and in deeper water than summer but my area is flat and the water is max 1 foot ( i think ).  I'm not by the Rockies btw.  Any input would be much appreciated!

#2 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

I would suggest that you move downstream to where there are deep pools, and leave your traps out for much longer, 24 hours at least. I know that some leave their traps out for several days in the winter, but I am not that patient.

Good luck.

#3 JackieFisher

JackieFisher
  • NANFA Guest
  • Delaware

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:25 PM

I would suggest that you move downstream to where there are deep pools, and leave your traps out for much longer, 24 hours at least. I know that some leave their traps out for several days in the winter, but I am not that patient.

Good luck.

Thanks. I should try that! I actually prefer longer wait, but I had the unproven notion earlier that they escape or die inside.

In you experience does the temperature of the day matter a lot? I used to go for the warmest day in the cold climate.

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

I don't do much minnow trapping, but I know that minnows tend to lay up in deeper slow pools during winter. I think longer duration makes sense. Also due to slower metabolisms, you are less likely to harm them with longer sets. Warm days will bring more activity. Sounds like you have it figured out.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

Yes, of course, the longer the fish is in the trap the greater the odds that it will escape. However, I have never had a fish die in the trap and that should not be a concern if you check the trap every few days.

#6 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

I have had no luck in the colder months with minnow traps, but I also didn't let them sit out 24+ hours either. However, today I had remarkable luck netting minnows out of the river's edge with a fine mesh basket ball sized dip net I put on a broom handle.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

Get waders and you can seine. Fish are still in water in winter. Sometimes a bit more challenging.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users