Photo

Anyone Good at Identifying Crayfish Species?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne

Suzanne
  • NANFA Guest
  • NY

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in identifying the specific type of crayfish that I have.
It's just for my own curiosity.
I have no experience with identifying different crayfish species.
I would love to be able to tell them apart, so any help will be great!
I'm especially interested in any books or websites that give detailed information on how to differentiate one type of crayfish from another.
The location of origin of this crayfish was near Naples N.Y. in a small pond.

Attached Files

All the best Experts were Beginners who didn't give up.

#2 Suzanne

Suzanne
  • NANFA Guest
  • NY

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

Oh I forgot to add this photo..
I think it is a female crayfish. It is young, I have only had it about a month and it has grown from 3/4" when I got it to about 3" now!

Attached Files

#3 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

Sorry, I cannot help in the least bit. Great pics though.  O:)

#4 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

I think this may be a White River Crayfish (Procambarus acutus).

I am not a crayfish expert and certainly not a NY crayfish expert, although I chased a lot of crayfish in upstate NY creeks as a kid many, many eons ago and still keep crayfish today (along way from NY).

As a source for information on NY crayfish you may want to check out the following: 

YouTube video: "A New York crayfish primer"

PDF: "The Crayfishes of New York State" (Crocker, 1957) https://decapoda.nhm...1/32071-001.pdf

Good luck!

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:07 AM

Has those long pinchers like a white river. I am unfamiliar with their range.

So Suzanne, for future reference, and since you seem to really be having fun with this, I feel that I should pass along that we generally cannot help out with ID's that are not streamside. We suggest that people catch, photo, and release. The reason for this is that there are many protected species out there, and as you have probably noticed by now, fish are not as easy to identify as..... mammals. So NANFA is not only protecting itself and the hobby, but also it's members with this rule. I am sure you can understand. Your circumstances were a bit different, you had fish from your pond. Many members spend time netting fish in public waters. It would be bad news for them to bring home a federally endangered species and ask for an ID. So we catch photo and release when we are unsure. If you have any questions please ask. Here is the ID subforum. http://forum.nanfa.o...ion-assistance/

The rules are posted at the top of the page. Thanks for understanding.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Suzanne

Suzanne
  • NANFA Guest
  • NY

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Has those long pinchers like a white river. I am unfamiliar with their range.

So Suzanne, for future reference, and since you seem to really be having fun with this, I feel that I should pass along that we generally cannot help out with ID's that are not streamside. We suggest that people catch, photo, and release. The reason for this is that there are many protected species out there, and as you have probably noticed by now, fish are not as easy to identify as..... mammals. So NANFA is not only protecting itself and the hobby, but also it's members with this rule. I am sure you can understand. Your circumstances were a bit different, you had fish from your pond. Many members spend time netting fish in public waters. It would be bad news for them to bring home a federally endangered species and ask for an ID. So we catch photo and release when we are unsure. If you have any questions please ask. Here is the ID subforum. http://forum.nanfa.o...ion-assistance/
The rules are posted at the top of the page. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for the reminder. I definitely understand the need for caution. I should have been more clear about my collection of this crayfish and the other couple of fish that I have.
In NY state it is legal to collect minnows and crayfish under the bait regulations. They may not be transported for use in another water body or by motor vehicle overland except through designated corridors. Possession of these aquatic creatures is allowed as long as they are not intended for use or release in any body of water that they were not taken from (ie. don't dump the leftover bait into the water). The regulations do not prohibit capture and possession of fish or crayfish legally cought. Bodies of water that are trout habitats are treated differently, but a backyard pond woold not be considered a trout habitat. Also state public land is regulated differently so one must become familiar with those regulations as necessary.
Here are links for any fellow New Yorkers if they are interested. And just a reminder YOU MUST HAVE YOUR FISHING LICENSE ON YOUR PERSON, I know people who left it in the car and walked 50' to the lake or stream to fish or use bait traps and they got ticketed for not having a licence, it is taken very seriously by the game wardens.
http://www.eregulati...sh-regulations/
http://www.eregulati...al-regulations/

I have previously made inquiry to the NYSDEC about the legality of keeping wild fish in aquarium. They replied that species that have no seasonal limit and no size limit, and are not endangered or threatened, such as most sunfish and minnows, are allowed to be taken and kept in an aquarium.

I would definitely not have asked for ID on any fish (or crayfish) that did not fall into these legal regulations. And certainly I would not keep any fish that I did not know what it was at all, I would immediately release it. There are only a very few fish that are considered endangered or threatened and are illegal to fish for or possess in NY, of those the only minnows and sunfish that are listed are not located anywhere near my area. So there is no worry that the fish from my pond are not legal to posses. But thank you for the reminder.

#7 Suzanne

Suzanne
  • NANFA Guest
  • NY

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

I think this may be a White River Crayfish (Procambarus acutus).

I am not a crayfish expert and certainly not a NY crayfish expert, although I chased a lot of crayfish in upstate NY creeks as a kid many, many eons ago and still keep crayfish today (along way from NY).

As a source for information on NY crayfish you may want to check out the following: 
YouTube video: "A New York crayfish primer"
PDF: "The Crayfishes of New York State" (Crocker, 1957) https://decapoda.nhm...1/32071-001.pdf

Good luck!

Thanks lilyea and Matt DeLaVega, I will check out th white river crayfish.

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

Awesome. I honestly hate even bringing it up. Some people take real offense. It is not meant to be that way. Again, thank you for understanding.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Suzanne

Suzanne
  • NANFA Guest
  • NY

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

I researched a lot more and my crayfish is indeed a white river crayfish (procambarus acutus)
Some realy helpful sources in confirming that identification are bellow for anyone else who may be interested in digging deeper into the topic (aka crazy like me, Lol!)
[Is it ok to post links like this? I think it is from reading the forum rules, but if not I can edit the likes out]
This YouTube video about NY crayfish by a Dr. Chris Pennuto, SUNY Buffalo
https://www.google.c...RsdP6HPj4DIcNj2
Also the North Carolina wildlife resources commission had some excellent online articles for crayfish. This is the page for White river crayfish on their site.
https://www.ncwildli...382-photographs

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:35 PM

Glad you figured it out.  Yay for NC Wildlife Resources Commission -- some great people there !!! 

Sexing crayfish is easy, but species ID is not.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users