Photo

Haven't posted in years, but am back to native tanks!

7 replies to this topic

#1 TurbineBlade

TurbineBlade
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:28 AM

Hello - It's been a long time!  I formerly posted under "Gene2308", but due to life circumstances, have not kept native tanks or done any sampling in several years.  I now have moved to Fredericksburg, VA and have a 2-year-old that is VERY interested in wildlife, and going to the creek with me. 

I also purchased the "perfect dipnet" and am looking forward to putting it to hard use. 

If anyone is, or was in the Fredericksburg area and wants to lend a Dad with (now) somewhat limited exploration time any advice, please shoot me a PM.  I'm trying to identify sample spots for darters in particular, and I know I now have shield and fantail darters around me.  (I moved from Alexandria, and had abundant tessellated darters and many other species near me). 

Anyway -- it's good to be back!  My next objective is to rejoin NANFA -- then fill my basement with tanks. 

TB

"Trying is the first step toward failure!" -- Homer Simpson

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

Welcome back Gene/Turbine!  I can see that you originally came to the forum in 2009! Thanks for referencing your old name so I can merge the two accounts.  We had a crash a few years ago, and although we did not loose much if any content, posts from before the crash are no longer associated with user names.  But we are glad to see you here again.  

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 TurbineBlade

TurbineBlade
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Michael!  2009 sounds correct - those were the days when it was just me and my wife with unlimited free time, but with a rented apartment and no room for tanks.  We now have a home with a basement (i.e., room for tanks), but have a toddler and another one on the way next Spring (i.e., no time). 

The irony here is not lost on me.

I have a 25 gallon cube set up with about a dozen rosyside dace, and intend to set up a 75 gallon possiblly as early as this weekend.  My goal is to use gravel/sand/rocks/wood that are all field-collected; no purchased stuff. 

Thanks for patching me up with the other me --

TB

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

TB- welcome back to the forum and smack into that whole pesky "real life" deal!  I sympathize.  Boy howdy, I sympathize.  But I bet your limited outings with a young 'un in tow will be more rewarding than you can imagine.  Even if they may not seem like it at the time...   O:)

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 TurbineBlade

TurbineBlade
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:14 PM

I suspect outings with the kiddo will be quite rewarding, and I'm truthfully really looking forward to it (despite the fact that I've felt like I've run on a 1/4 tank for the last 2 years).  

Great film, and great quote by the way in your signature --  O:)

#6 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

If you still have a quarter tank in you, you are a better man than me.  Just wait until kids 2 3 and 4 come along!

My switch to a native tank corresponded to both a catastrophic fish kill requiring a re-stocking and my children coming enough of age to take an interest in the tank, and especially collecting.  With the exception of some blue fin killis that we ordered together online, every single fish and critter in the tank was caught by us.  The last 3 or 4 years have really been fun.  The kids are fully invested in the tank.  2 of my kids have 5 gallon tanks in their own rooms now.

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#7 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

I live in southern Maryland and I go fishing in Virginia a lot, but not usually as far south as Fredericksburg.  One of the interesting things about that area to me is that it seems as if their are a few places that have banded sunfish, which look nice in an aquarium and only grow to about 4" from what I have read.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:49 PM

Welcome back. Have to agree with you that Enneacanthus are great aquarium fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users