New from IL

9 replies to this topic

#1 JLSherwood

JLSherwood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm Josh from East-Central IL. I've been a NANFA member for a few years now but have not been on the forum. I am an ichthyologist for the INHS that works primarily with stream fishes. 

#2 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:38 PM

Welcome! I'm from West-Central IL, but have been to the other side of the state to collect Longears. I'd like to collect steelcolor shiners in the future, so if you have any suggested locations, I would appreciate it!

#3 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

Josh - welcome to the forum!  In addition to working with stream fishes in general, do you have any specific areas of interest?  Do you keep fish yourself?  I am always amazed at the variety of the interests and expertise of fellow NANFA members and how some of us keep many different fishes and others only enjoy them in nature.

Bruce

#4 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:49 PM

Welcome. My wife, Carie, and I both were in INHS. She retired from it and I retired from the U of I Crop Sciences Dept. We still live south of Champaign. I keep primarily native minnows and topminnows. 

We will both be at the Champaign Area Fish Exchange semi-annual auction at the Garden Hotel at the junction of I-74 & Lincoln Ave. in Urbana tomorrow, Jan 26. She is the club President, and I am the Treasurer and primary auctioneer. We will sell several hundred non-native fish tomorrow as well as plants and equipment. Stop by if you get the chance.

Phil Nixon

pnixon@illinois.edu

#5 JLSherwood

JLSherwood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome! 

Jeffrey, I've only ever ran across Steelcolors in the Vermilion River Basin (Wabash-Ohio) and there are some good Forest Preserves that can get you access to some good habitats. Beware though, almost everywhere I've gotten them in the Vermilion has been alongside Spotfins, so be ready to count some anal rays. I don't think I've seen anywhere around here that you can find 1 without the other (I could be wrong though). 

Bruce & Phil, I've never really gotten into keeping them myself. I blame my lack of attention span! I primarily perform assessments prior to roadway construction (largely around Chicago) but also work with threatened and endangered species in Illinois, finding gaps in life history or habitat that are needed to conserve species. 

If any of you are on Twitter, I try and post articles and pictures from field work on there (@J_L_Sherwood). 

#6 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

That's ok, as I love Spotfins too! I can collect Spotfins on this side of the state but there are no Steelcolor shiners.

#7 blakemarkwell

blakemarkwell
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum. I'm based in central Illinois and spend a decent amount of time in Vermilion County looking for amphibians, fish, and various plants. I don't keep natives myself, but I like to celebrate their nuptial displays with my eyes.

We should meet up something this spring/early summer and get in the water together.

Blake Markwell
Sangamon River

#8 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

Welcome to the forum, Josh!

Kevin Wilson

#9 Redfin

Redfin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Border of Chicago & Des Plaines Watershed and Cuyahoga Basin

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I primarily perform assessments prior to roadway construction (largely around Chicago)

The assessments prior to roadway construction sounds really interesting.  What type of stuff do you find in the Chicago area?

#10 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

Welcome to the forum! We emailed back and forth years ago about stream fish in Champaign and Vermilion counties.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users