Tank decor, e.g. branches.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

The maple branch I have in my tank I cut from a live tree back a few months ago, I never skinned the bark off and now it's covered with a thick "fuzzy" coating of algae/mold which you can see in the photo. I know that this is natural decomposition in the wild, but to me it looks a bit fugly and was wondering if I should go to the lake and get some already years old driftwood or just keep this in the tank as-is and let nature do it's thing. What would you do? Remove and replace it with barren driftwood or leave it? Would I encounter the same issue with it developing this "fuzz" with driftwood? It doesn't seem to be affecting the fish, water quality/parameters or their health.

TIA,

Chris M.

Attached Files

#2 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Given that your photo has 4 (!!!) darters hanging out on about 12" of this stick, it seems to be quite socially popular with the residents. As is.(Redline, banded, not sure from that angle, banded?) 

A (partially) pre-decomposed stick probably would have less fuzz, and less potential to develop fuzz. OTOH, now that this stick has been softened up, you could probably skin it pretty easily, and have a bare stick. Or half skin it, and see if the non-fuzzy part is still popular.

In THEORY, fishkeepers generally don't like potentially decomposing things in their tanks. But as a practical matter, whether it ACTUALLY impacts water quality etc is an empirical issue, in the context of everything in your tank plus your aquarium management practices. 

It looks natural to me, and obviously provides good structure that encourages your critters to be visible. I personally would lean towards keeping it as is, but with a watchful eye towards tank conditions (which you are already doing.) 

Did I ever mention that I love redlines, above almost all other fish? (But not enough to get my first tattoo.) 

HTH

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#3 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your input, it's just one of those things that has been a tiny annoyance in the back of my mind concerning the tank appearance. The darters themselves love it. There's at least 2 darters on it at any given time. Right now there's 4, one Johnny and 3 banded. However, the rainbows and fantails stay on the bottom. Once in awhile I will see a rainbow perch on the branch if only for a moment and then go back to the bottom. The bandeds and Johnnies love it. I think part of the problem is the artificial plants in the tank are skoady with algae and I want to replace them. If I do that, it'll lighten the tank up a bit I think.

Wish I could get redlines here in Ohio. Unfortunately they do not live in this state. However, we do have quite a listing of darter species here. In the river near my house where these came from we have banded, rainbow, fantail, Johnny, greenside and the occasional logperch.

No redline tattoo? Unlike getting your girlfriend or wife's name tattooed on you which always ends in divorce and bitterness, at least a darter won't take half and leave you crying and broke.   :biggrin:

#4 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:22 PM

The fish on the left isn't a redline? The white squarish marks down the midline made me think it was. So what is it?

Doug Dame

#5 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

That's a small Johnny. Wish we had redlines in Ohio but we don't. I did a 40% water change yesterday and cleaned all of the plants off. Made a remarkable difference! I'll keep the branch for now and see what I think later on down the road.

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

Did I ever mention that I love redlines, above almost all other fish? (But not enough to get my first tattoo.) 

No redline tattoo? Unlike getting your girlfriend or wife's name tattooed on you which always ends in divorce and bitterness, at least a darter won't take half and leave you crying and broke.   :biggrin:

Aww, come on boys!
Attached File  Redline.jpg   10.24KB   1 downloads

Nick L.

#7 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

I know, I know.

Doug Dame

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

You win every time with that larger than life dude.

Aww, come on boys!
Redline.jpg

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

We *really* need a thumbs up option here! Love that tattoo, Nick! I have a dagger on my arm that I did when I was 16, drunk and with a needle and ink. Mayhaps I have discovered what I can cover it up with. A rainbow or banded darter.

Chris M.

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

Gracias.  There is another member with a very nice Candy darter on his calf?  I wasn't able to find the pic in the forum however.

To get back to the subject at hand, I've had [purchased] aquarium driftwood fuzz-up each time it became hydrated, in between uses.  After it 'cycled' the fuzz never returned as long as it was in use.  I never saw an adverse affect on any native or tropical species.

Nick L.

#11 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

I agree with Doug, not to worry since your darters seem to love it.  Let nature take its course.  Then again, I subscribe to the lazy side of fish management, and letting "nature take its course" is merely another term for procrastination.

Kevin Wilson

#12 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thanks guys. I'll wait it out and see what happens with this branch. It might go away on it's own once the bark decays enough.

Anyhow... If there's one thing I do and do well, it's procrastinate. Why do today what I can do tomorrow, or the day after, or the week after.... :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users