Photo

speckled killies

3 replies to this topic

#1 samanthathefishenthusiast

samanthathefishenthusiast
  • NANFA Guest
  • north carolina

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

OK, so i got 3 small speckled killies and i have had them for about 1 and 1/2 weeks they eat voraciously and i feed them small cut up pieces of worm and once even steamed clam (wich they seemed to like) what else can i feed them? i looked them up and cant find much on them i want to try breeding them what should i do . thanks for your time  :)              :fishy: 

#2 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:00 PM

In my experience, native killifish will eat most anything offered that will fit inside their mouths. Flake foods are readily accepted. I feed mine frozen bloodworms most days. In summer, I will feed them mosquito larvae and pupae that I collect as well. Sometimes they will eat beetle larvae that I am attempting to feed my bluespotted sunfish if they can fit it in their mouth.

Good luck!

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

agree with jeffrey, native killies like speckleds will usually eat flake... but you need to make sure it is a high quality (I like to use earthworm flake sold on line) to keep up with their metabolism and activity.  bloodworms are an easy frozen or freeze dried food.  killies do well even with freeze dried food, since they really want to eat off the surface anyway.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

As they mature, you may have aggression problems.  A larger group of them (8+) in a sufficiently long tank would have a better chance of forming a stable group than just three fish.  Males will become less speckled with a bluish iridescence, and their anal fin gets longer.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users