Little River, Blount county Tennessee

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

No fish in this post, but those that have been to the Star Bridge or Perry Mill dam may find it interesting.  We had 5" of rain yesterday and about 7" or 8" total since Wednesday and it turned a normally not too sedate river into a monster.  This is a very species rich river, if you're ever in this area do yourself a favor and stop by for a snorkel.  Remember no collecting in Tennessee without the proper permits.

IMG_98.JPG

From Star Bridge looking upstream.  Note the openings at the right of the image, they are well above the water level at normal pool.

IMG_02.JPG

From the new bridge looking upstream at the Star Bridge.  Normally there's probably 20'-25' clearance (what do think Casper, Derek) between the top of the arch and water level.  Today it's around 10' or so.

IMG_08.JPG

Perry Mill Dam about 1.5 river miles downstream from the Star Bridge.  Another incredibly diverse site and the access is much easier, but not today.  Normally there is about a 12'-15' (again Casper, Derek?) difference between the upper and lower pool, today it might be 6'.  Typically there is a gently sloping beach just beyond the leftmost tree making for easy access to a fantastic snorkel spot.

IMG_16.JPG

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#2 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

Why are they so anal in Tn about collecting nongame fish like darters, minnows and so forth? I guess you cannot collect just about anything without some kind of permit.

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:05 AM

There are many federally listed species in the state. Many of these can be difficult for collectors and law enforcement to identify.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

Matt is correct, TWRA can't ID itself out of a bait bucket if it had to.  They took the easy way out and did what governments do, ban all of the activity.

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#5 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

Wow.

Behind my house South Chick level is just below the swinging bridge's planks and almost up to the sign face's bottom.  It crested yesterday about noon.  In past events it has covered both the sign and the bridge... a few times.

Big rains flush out silt but most likely wash in much more.

:(

Conasauga, tho high, was not as flooded like waters to Chattanooga and northward.

I wish i had rode around Sunday and looked at various sites.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users