Photo

1,200 species of venomous catfish now known.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

Neat article by Nat Geo. 1,200+ species of catfish have been discovered to be armed with venom like the stonecat, and some, as they age and grow bigger lose this venom.

http://tinyurl.com/y5pmh68u

Chris M.

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

Cool article, one good poke from a madtom will confirm how effective a defense their venom is!!!!
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

I really liked the article, and in all actuality, have always liked Nat Geo ever since I was a wee kid in the mid 70's.

Last October my daughter and I caught a stonecat madtom(in the tank now) and I grabbed it out of the seine while thinking, "this is the funniest looking bullfrog tadpole I've ever seen) since we had caught a tadpole 20 minutes earlier, and once in hand I realized what it was. Somehow, even with all of the manhandling that stonecat took, it never spined me. So I've yet to feel what it's venom is like, but I hear it's akin to being stung by a wasp. I KNOW what that feels like. Had a wasp nail me in the knuckle last year while spraying a nest.

Anyhow, I guess it's time to move the madtom to another tank. When I caught it, it was 3" long. Now it's almost 7" and just ate a 4" silver shiner whole. My darters aren't safe....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users