Is it obvious that I love darters?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

There's at  least 22 various darters in my tank as of now. When it's feeding time, the bottom of the tank in the front is teeming with them. What's your favorite darter specie? I really cannot choose because they all have such unique fishonalities and interact with me in their own manner.

Attached Files

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

The thought had crossed my mind, but thanks for confirming.  Personal fave might be P. roanokae.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Very cool, having the bottom of your tank full of darters.  I'd like to do the same thing with my tank once set up :)

Kevin Wilson

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

I do like the P. Roanoka, very pretty fish! It's tough for me to choose. I also like the greenside darter. I caught one about 33 years ago in spring when it was brilliant green. Wish I could catch another one.

Thanks Kevin. I think your tank will definitely beat mine once finished. You have patience and determination that I do not in constructing your tank with that root setup. Once things warm up, I might try and see if I can find some good driftwood roots at the lake near me. Might make some changes here in awhile. I also have a tiny 1" long baby bluegill I am getting tamed up. Might be a bit better tankmate than the green sunfish. They have a tinier mouth....

How long until you think that you're done constructing your tankscape?

#5 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Kevin. I think your tank will definitely beat mine once finished. You have patience and determination that I do not in constructing your tank with that root setup. Once things warm up, I might try and see if I can find some good driftwood roots at the lake near me. Might make some changes here in awhile. I also have a tiny 1" long baby bluegill I am getting tamed up. Might be a bit better tankmate than the green sunfish. They have a tinier mouth....

How long until you think that you're done constructing your tankscape?

I almost collected a couple pieces of driftwood that were water logged that I hooked while fishing and brought to the boat.  Since my tank wasn't set up yet, I didn't want them to dry out, so I released them (unharmed).  :)

I'm highly motivated to finish my tank.  I plan to put in some time this weekend applying the grout to the roots.  After it dries, then I will work on it during the following weekdays to paint them with Drylok/cement dye.  After that, it's all downhill from there.  I will go out and collect some local gravel and rocks from a local river or creek (assuming they aren't flooded - tons of rain here over the past year), and then I'll be ready to set up and cycle the tank.  I should be collecting fish soon after that.

Kevin Wilson

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

You should be able to catch fired up greensides right about now. Try Little Darby, or any larger trib to Big Darby. Big Darby proper is closed to seining. Tribs to Scioto. Jacked up males seem to be in heavier current, so you may have to push it. A great darter creek is Paint creek in Bainbridge. Park at the Jehovah's witness church on St.Rt. 41 on the north side of creek. You will get Tippecanoe, bluebreast, greenside, banded, rainbow, johnny, and fantail. It has a gauge, so you can monitor it from home and make sure you aren't wasting a drive. https://waterdata.us...ite_no=03234000

I wouldn't touch it until it is 600 cfs or less. 300 is probably closer to ideal.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

The lake near me has quite a bit of submerged wood, so I might head over there later on in the spring to get some. Not ready to make any changes yet. I am a procrastinator by nature, so maybe tomorrow.... ;-)

@Matt,

We have greensides in the Olentangy, but they're not as common as in other places. Perhaps I am just not in the right section of river. Since I have some new nets, I might have better luck catching more darters. The seine works nicely, but in the shallows where I see most darters, they seem to avoid it easily. Last fall in one shallow area there must have been 100 darters scattering as I walked through. With a large dipnet I might have better luck. Maybe not.... They're smart and quick little buggers.

Are bluebreast darters still on the protected list in Ohio? I know that they were at one time. The Tippecanoe darter looks like it's a beautiful fish when in breeding colors.

Thanks

Chris

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

I figured they were there. Kick seining or kicking into a dipnet in faster riffles with mixed medium sized cobble should be effective. Bluebreast are no longer protected in Ohio and are a good aquarium fish. You should keep a couple when you get a chance. Tippecanoe are threatened.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

I am a procrastinator by nature, so maybe tomorrow.... ;)

:biggrin:  :D/

Kevin Wilson

#10 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info Matt. I like kick-seining and is typically what I do. However, I have had great success with dipnets as well.

Chris M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users