First of the season

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

I was net fishing in the Menomonee River here in SE WI.  I caught this monster and am struggling to ID.  Mainly it it the coloration that is throwing me off.  I would have though white sucker, but am not sure.

RqgX3ij.jpg

I know this pic is cruddy, but I couldn't get clear water.  Greenie or Pumpkin?

XW1B2Be.jpg

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

That's a nice looking Male central stoneroller in breeding colors. Second fish is a green most likely based on mouth size and body shape.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

stoneroller up top (both fishes actually).

next one is green, just cause that is always the most likely answer in these cases.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:50 PM

I agree with Jason and Michael. Male stonerollers this time of year are something to behold. I always get a native American feel from them. I mean indigenous I reckon.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:04 PM

Thanks all! What isn't clear from the above photo is that the bigger stoneroller is almost 6" long and at least an 1" across.  It was huge.  I caught it with 4 others (two bluntnose minnows and the greenie, in a single sweep under a heavy overhang.  Catching anything this time of year is a crap shoot and to get 5 in one swipe was thrilling.

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

I know what you are talking about. They are out there. Maybe 1 in 500 males get that big and that awesome looking. It is a great thing to see. I have not come across them that size and dress in smaller streams, only in large streams and rivers.

#7 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

Big males are uncommon but they are out there and a really nice find. It makes stoneroller species much easier to identify too in areas where their ranges overlap as they do here in KY. Here's pics of a male Largescale stony I caught this spring. No or minimal black on the anal fin unlike what you see with Centrals. Also the tubercle patterns are a bit different. Scale counts can actually overlap in some areas so finding a big male is the ticket to telling them apart at times.

Attached File  image.jpeg   92.82KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpeg   112.28KB   1 downloads

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:28 PM

Hmm. Always wondered. The scales do look larger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users