Photo

breeding behavior?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone breed white bullheads in an aquarium? I raised several from tiny little fish to close to a foot long and they ar displaying some mating behaviors I've observed then in the wild while scuba diving and thmy fish are digging a deep hole in the sand under a large tree stump. They've become aggressive defending that one place is two fish fish a large big fat one I think is female. They run the turtles off and other fish. What should I be looking for to save the fry if any?

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

With brown bullhead, the breeding process was in line with your description. The fry were swimming at the surface and looked like tadpoles with whiskers. You may want to add screen mesh to the overflow if you have one. Good luck!

#3 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

Sadly it appears that a pleco I had forgot was in the tank has disrupted whatever they were up to. I intend to transfer them to a yard pond soon as possible. Maybe they will go back to it under the correct circumstances with no interference. I hate it when I forget a fish is in a tank and the catfish are getting big enough they pose a real danger to my mudpuppy who has to come first, he eats from my fingers! 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users