Photo

Smallmouth bass and grumpy old man green sunfish.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:03 PM

My green sunfish was NOT at all happy when I introduced a 3" smallmouth bass fingerling to the tank. Interestingly enough, he started tail-fanning the gravel like he's digging a spawning bed after I removed the bass to another tank. The only other fish remotely related is my Northern Longear and those two get along(for now). Never have had any fish exhibit that behavior in the past. My guess is that it had more to do with establishing his "spot" rather than breeding.

Attached Files

#2 Michmass

Michmass
  • NANFA Guest
  • Grass Lake MI

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

Nice looking small mouth.

Truths are mutable, facts are not.  Unless of course we're talking about the definition of mutable, then the fact is in fact mutable.

#3 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:07 PM

Things are about to get real in your tank. Keep us updated.

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Thanks Michmass, he's a cute and beautiful fish. Great scale coloration patterns.

@Jason,

I moved him in with the stonecat Madtom. He'll fare better in there. Judging by the green's reaction, I'd have found a dead smallmouth by morning. If I am correct, green sunfish, Lepomis Cyanellus are the most aggressive of all the sunfish species.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

If I am correct, green sunfish, Lepomis Cyanellus are the most aggressive of all the sunfish species.

Certainly a contender. Pumpkinseeds are pretty aggressive and I hear dollar sunfish are as well.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

Young bass are so active and interesting.  Much more so than the adults in aquaria, IMHO.  I'd rather keep small ones in the tank, and catch big ones in the wild ;)

Kevin Wilson

#7 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

When I was a kid in 1975, my father had a largemouth bass in a tank. I was pretty little at the time, about 4, but the bass was BIG. I think those memories are kind of what sparked my interests in native fishkeeping. I've had plenty of sunnies, chubs and other minnows, but no bass until now.

I've never had a P-seed(thought I did, but it's a N Longear) and plenty of greens and bluegills, but to me it seems that the green sunfish is the most aggressive. They decimate other sunfish typically. Quite frankly I am surprised that this green and the N Longear are coexisting peacefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users