Photo

Itty bitty baby catfish!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Member
  • Ohio

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

I caught this little guy 2 weeks ago and he was literally the size of a tadpole and at first I thought it WAS a tadpole. Just a little under 1/2" long at the time. He's about 5/8" long now, is eating well and adjusting well in the tank. Don't think it's a Madtom but either a yellow bullhead or channel cat. Jet black with a snow white belly and lower barbels.

Never thought that a catfish could be as adorably cute as they are when tiny!

Chris M.

Attached Images

• 1-BABY-CATFISH.jpg

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Yellow bullhead. I saw a ball of them at a local lake this week.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 riverman1

riverman1
  • NANFA Member
  • Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

WOW...Awesome. Hard to tell but it looks like a full tail and not forked. It appears to me to be possibly a flat head catfish. 

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Member
  • Ohio

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. I will have to agree with Matt, yellow bullhead. More research on them and the lower barbels are white while the upper are black. It also has a full tail, not forked. It could be a flathead, but it falls more in line with a yellow bullhead. It's become a very active fish as of lately. Not sure if cats ever adapt to daytime life or not.

Chris M.

#5 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

Cute 'lil kitty!

Kevin Wilson

#6 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

I've had some madtoms that were periodically active in the daytime. Especially when food was in the water! Gotta wake up & get up in the flow & battle with the minners in the chow line!

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#7 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Member
  • Ohio

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:29 PM

He sure is a cute little guy. He goes nuts once the Mysis shrimp hit the water. Once done, he hides for a bit, but he seems pretty active during the daytime. Right now he contends with 7 darters and a 1" baby sunfish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users