Lepomis megalotis megalotis

5 replies to this topic

#1 Toad Drool

Toad Drool
  • NANFA Guest
  • NYC

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

Hi,

I am new to the native fish hobby and about 1 year ago I began by purchasing 7 1 inch southern Long-eared Sunfish.  Well they are grown now.  I keep them at work ( a teaching lab) for students to look  and learn, but that also means they might get a little neglect in the summer months.  Last week I went away from June 27-July 4th.  I wasn't able to check on them until today and I found them all alive and active. However this means they were unattended for 13 days!  Some males were doing the territorial spinning display.  However I am concerned because some of the fish appear to have peeled skin.  See photo for what I mean.  The goldfish in the tank appear to be missing scales, not raised scales, just missing.  I saw some minor scrapes on the sunfish here and there, but no wounds or obvious infections.  During my time away they were not fed and the room they were in seems to have gotten very very warm without the AC running.  I am wondering if they got extra agressive with each other or if they are suffering from stress related problems.  Do you think this is something to be concerned about.

Thank you. 

Attached Images

• CAC_7146_00001.jpg

Edited by Toad Drool, 09 July 2019 - 11:13 PM.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like things got a little rowdy in there. Could be from stress from lack of food, or maybe there was some spawning behavior, you mention the males displaying. Both these could result in fish looking ragged. Looking at the photo, I wouldn't be particularly concerned.

I would try to avoid two full weeks without food. The stress could open the door to opportunistic infection.

Dropping the water temperature would solve the feed stress, but is probably not very doable.

Multiple automatic feeders might ease the stress next time you leave. A darkened environment might help as well.

BLACKWORMS might be a big help. They can live in  substrate and the sunfish can graze on them while you are away. Read up on them, they might be the ticket.

Good luck.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Par for the course.  You didn't mention how  big of a tank they were in.  It could possibly be that they are now overcrowded having reached (sub)adulthood.  Times are tough in the wild during this time of the year.  They are capable of handling the warm temps, possible food shortages, and spawning pressures.  

I'll second that 2 weeks is typically longer than most hobbyists go w/o feeding their fish.  But as you see, your sunfish did fine.  That's a nice picture you took.

Just keep the water water clean [changed] and those minor wounds/missing scales/scratches will be a non-issue.

Could we see a full tank shot?

Good luck.

Nick L.

#4 Toad Drool

Toad Drool
  • NANFA Guest
  • NYC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

My first instinct is in agreement with what you guys are saying.  I agree two weeks is too long, but I wasn't supposed to be away that long.  I lowered the temperature and the fish seem better today than yesterday.  Some of the males seem to be just as aggressive.  I will read up on black worms as I have never fed those to anyone.  These guys get bloodworms, red-wiggler worms, sinking granules, even sera-o nip tabs as a standard diet.  I keep changing it up.  Wax worms are occasional treats.

I have these fish in a 55 gallon with a 20-30 gallon sump system.  

I'll post pictures of the fish, thanks for the compliment, but I will have to work on the tank pictures.

Thank you!

César

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

"I lowered the temperature...."   You really don't need a heater in the tank at all.  Remember these native fish go from (near) freezing temps in the winter, to the 80's and above in the summer.  Goldfish certainly do not require any additional heat.

A 55 gallon is a nice size.  Despite having a sump--which gives you additional water volume but not additional living space for the 7 sunnies & goldfish, the footprint of a 55 is a little on the small size in my opinion.  I think you'll come to find out that these squabbles are going to continue to the point of the most recessive individuals not getting food or being picked on all the time.  

You may consider thinning the heard, or getting a larger tank if possible.

Again, your fish look really good and I'm not suggesting you're neglecting them in any way.  Just offering some tips and pointers.  Good luck!

Nick L.

#6 Toad Drool

Toad Drool
  • NANFA Guest
  • NYC

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

Thanks again!  I removed the two runts which are about 1/3 the size of the others, so it is down to 5 now.  I'll continue to thin out the herd as needed.  Oh and what I meant by lowering the temperature was that I turned on the AC in the room.  I don't have a heater in this tank at all precisely for the reasons you mentioned.  I do have an old 90 gallon, but its very heavy and needs to be siliconed again.  Long term project perhaps. 

César

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users