Are these wild blood worms?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

I dipped this bucket of water from the quarry a week ago and it's been sealed in my Florida room for said week. Nothing that I could see was in the water, but when I opened the bucket up, there were these dark casings in the bottom and tiny red and wiggly worms. Are these wild blood worm larvae or something else? I am thinking that they are and that I have hit a killer natural food source.

Thanks for any help with this.

Chris M.

Attached Files

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

I would say yes.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

I agree. Chironomid larvae of some flavor. The trick is coming up with an efficient way to harvest a bunch.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thank you. That is what I thought, but as Matt said, the trick to making it pay off is finding an efficient way to propagate them and then harvest them and continue the cycle. I do not have such facilities at my disposal....

Chris M.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

Chris, search for wild black worm thread by Auban. He has found a way to efficiently harvest them. Very different creatures, but maybe something attracts enough wild blood worms to an area that you could easily collect a bunch. Are they attracted to a light after dark?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:09 PM

I'll look it up and see what I find. I did scoop them out and my fish eagerly snapped them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users