• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have been paging through some of the previously posted hybrid questions, so I think I have some solid guesses, but I'd appreciate any expert input.

My guesses for the following 2 pictures are bluegill x longear. Any other opinions?

1) Attached File  IMG_5571.JPG   196.54KB   4 downloads

2) Attached File  IMG_6541.JPG   100.98KB   3 downloads

My guess for this one was a bluegill x green sunfish

3)Attached File  IMG_5448.JPG   179.95KB   3 downloads

#2 fishiedave

fishiedave
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Top 2 are Longear I'm pretty sure. Don't know about the bottom pic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#3 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:07 PM

I would tend to agree with your assessments. I've caught hybrids of those species here in KY that look pretty similar to the fish pictured.

#4 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:11 PM

Think the vertical bars suggest a bluegill component. Longears I catch up here in KY that size don't have that feature.

#5 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:34 PM

Thanks very much!

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:48 AM

I agree on longear x bluegill. That said I have seen some photos of very odd looking megalotis from Texas. Some even display the vertical bars, but look decidedly more longear if that makes sense. The above fish also have the pectoral fins of bluegill. Particularly the second.  Long and pointed.

Third photo looks like a typical greengill, which seems to be the most common Lepomis hybrid. They occur commonly in the wild, and every fish hatchery in the country sells them and encourages them for pond stocking due to their lower reproductive rate. I think they are 90% male.

Very cool.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

I agree on longear x bluegill. That said I have seen some photos of very odd looking megalotis from Texas. Some even display the vertical bars, but look decidedly more longear if that makes sense. The above fish also have the pectoral fins of bluegill. Particularly the second.  Long and pointed.

Third photo looks like a typical greengill, which seems to be the most common Lepomis hybrid. They occur commonly in the wild, and every fish hatchery in the country sells them and encourages them for pond stocking due to their lower reproductive rate. I think they are 90% male.

Very cool.

Wow! That's awesome info. Thanks Matt! I agree with you about the odd looking longears. I've been taking pics of them and documenting them for the last couple of years and I find many that have teal blue vertical lines. Then I find many that just have the typical blue around the lateral portion of their body. Thanks for confirming the hybrids for me. 

#8 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

Top two look like cross involving Redbreast Sunfish and Bluegill.  Opercular tab longer than typical Longear.  Gape size also looks bigger like Redbreast would introduce.  Are Redbreast known for the drainage??

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

I thought about redbreast too, but Houston.....  Lepomis don't care about no stinking range map though.

#10 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:35 PM

I have caught redbreasted in one creek to the northeast. Different creek, but same watershed. Here is a picture of what I thought was a typical longear. Just for reference purposes.

Attached Files

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:44 AM

That looks like those strange Texas longear that I have seen photos of.

#12 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

That's a beautiful fish!

Chris M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users