Photo

Otter Creek "replica" (South Central Wisconsin)

6 replies to this topic

#1 pleigh00

pleigh00
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

Hi,

I am looking to recreate a local stream with a 55 gallon tank.  Well, at least a small sliver of it.  

I have the tank set up with a 1/10 hp chiller, a river manifold and two hang on filters.  I already have a couple fish in there (johnny and blackside darter).  The first round didn't go super well as I lost 6 of 9 (lost 3 fantains, 1 johnny and 2 blackside).  At the time I didn't have a chiller.  I'm hoping the chiller will help the next try.

All of the darters stay near the bottom hanging out in the small stone.

After I try adding some more darters, with the hopes the chiller will help them out (currently set to 62 degrees), what species might I want to go with to occupy the top half of the tank?

I do want to stay mostly true to the creek (Otter Creek; https://blogs.extens...Summer-2006.pdf ) so maybe the midminnow?  Or at least other creeks near me which is just NW of Madison, WI...

Would love to put a brook trout in there but figure the 55 gallons is too small and he would likely eat the rest of the fish in there...

Any specific and general advice would be great!

Thanks!!!

Patrick

#2 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Hopefully you won't have any more issues with losing fish after putting in the chiller. However, I have(and am) successfully keeping fantails, Johnny, banded and rainbow darters without a chiller or current power head.

Midwater fish in my tank are: spotfin shiners, bluntnose minnows and a 3.5" Northern Longear sunfish. No chiller in my tank either. Many Cyprinella species are great midwater fish and get along well.

Yeah, the trout will snack on the smaller fish. Like creek chubs, not a good community fish.

Chris M.

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

http://fishmap.org/w...ml?huc=07070005

This is a listing of species in your watershed.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

http://fishmap.org/w...ml?huc=07070005

This is a listing of species in your watershed.

You have a Fundulus, Nocomis, Cyprinella, and Phenocobius in your drainage. Those are all cool fish and good in a tank. And then I like weed shiners also.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 pleigh00

pleigh00
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

Cyprinella like cyprinidae like dace?

The sunfish leaves the others alone?  I had thought that maybe they liked to nibble on smaller guys?

Best way to stock up on them?  Jonah's?

I do have DNR permits to collect them in the field but I'm not quite skilled enough to identify what I'm getting in my d-net...

Thanks!!!

Edited by pleigh00, 15 September 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#6 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

Pleigh,

Dace are good, but jumpers. You will need a canopy on your tank as they are experts at finding tiny holes and leaping through them. However I like shiners and they are Cyprinella. I have spotfins and they're a very peaceful and active fish that's midwater and pretty. Their relatives are the steelcolor shiner and satinfin shiner. All very nice community fish. As for my Northern Longear sunfish, he totally ignores live fish. I put tiny fry in the tank and he totally ignored them while the spotfins gobbled them up. This doesn't mean that he wouldn't eat a fish if he was hungry enough, but they're fed daily and he exhibits absolutely 0 interest. Now put in blood worms, crickets, small red worms and Mysis shrimp and he eats very well.

You can buy them from Jonah's or other places online, but it's so much more rewarding to collect your own. However, if you're unsure, bring a small photo tank with you and photograph at the river, turn loose and once you positively ID them here on NANFA fish ID link or online, come back and catch another one. You don't want to take something endangered and protected out of it's habitat. That's why photo it on site and release.

Good fishin!

Chris M.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:11 PM

Cyprinella like cyprinidae like dace?

The sunfish leaves the others alone?  I had thought that maybe they liked to nibble on smaller guys?

Best way to stock up on them?  Jonah's?

I do have DNR permits to collect them in the field but I'm not quite skilled enough to identify what I'm getting in my d-net...

Thanks!!!

No, Cyprinella like big shiners... and you should learn your local fished and collect your own... that's a big part of the fun!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users