Photo

Eastern Blacknose Dace - Stressed or Mating?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

I have a group of about 20 eastern blacknose dace in my quarantine tank currently waiting for their new home to be built. Its mostly mature fish but there are a couple of juveniles in there as well. I have noticed that when I show up for feeding time, sometimes there is an adult or 2 or 3 that look different then the others. Their splotches are much more prominant and their black line is more copper color then black. Within seconds of starting to feed all of this fades away and they are back to their more typical coloring. Today I snuck a picture before it faded. 

XyQaGKE.jpg

To those with experience with this fish, is this mating colors? Or is this a sign my fish is stressed out? Or something else? Thank you for any information.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:35 AM

That is a glimpse of spawning color. It's common to see it to varying degrees throughout the year. It will get brighter when actual spawning is approaching. Totally normal. BND are a very active and hardy aquarium fish. Underrated in my opinion. They are voracious feeders on flake and can often out compete other shiners and minnows.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

I was very surprised to see them eating flake on day 1. I really expected it to be weeks before I got them eating prepared foods. But they have no trouble going into a frenzy when I feed. Currently giving them fluval bug bite pellets. That might be provoking the change in color as well.

Glad to hear its mating, I was worried I wasn't doing something right.

If I want to encourage the mating what should I do? Should I separate out a pair or will they be ok in a community if the babies have somewhere to hide? Additionally, I am expecting them to be at least semi-aggressive towards other fish, is that accurate? Any idea how they would do with shrimp? Thank you for the information, glad to find someone who has first hand experience with them.

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

Reducing photo period and temperature cool down will help trigger spawning. Live foods would also be of great benefit. Beyond that I don't know much specifically about spawning them. They are kind of a "bull in China shop" type fish. Not particularly aggressive, but they will push other species out of their way. I am not certain, but I believe they would be indifferent to shrimp that are too large to eat, but eat shrimp small enough to fit in their mouths. My experience is with western BND.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Thank you much appreciated! 

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

you are getting great advice from MDLV... I loved keeping these guys when I lived in Ohio... they are tough and I LOVE that copper/orange that the males get sometimes.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

BND take to prepared foods almost instantly and really are wonderful and adaptable aquarium fish. I would agree that they are highly underrated, hope they're doing well!!

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users