Best Tap Water Conditioner for a Native Tank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any preferences recommendations about tap water conditioners (in order to neutralize chlorine, fluoride, etc.) for native tanks? Do these conditioners affect alkalinity? 

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

To each their own.  I am not brand loyal when it comes to it.  Most tap water conditioners neutralize chlorine & chloramines.  But I think it is worth noting to make sure that it does both.  I live in an area where chloramines are dosed seasonally.  If you also have chloramines then it will also be helpful to have one that will neutralize ammonia (which is released, separated, produced?) from the chloramine.  The active ingredient in all of the conditioners is sodium thiosulfate--which only neutralizes chlorine.  So why not have the added benefit of some ammonia reduction as well when you're doing a WC?  Although, we all keep pristine aquariums, so there is NEVER ammonia, right?

Prime or Safe (the powdered version), both by Seachem, API, Kordon/NovAqua.  

They should not mess with alkalinity.  If you were to notice a difference before and after your WC, then it is a result of actually changing out the old water.  But there are test kits if you'd like to perform your own simple tests to come to your own conclusions.

Nick L.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

I know nothing compared to Nick when it comes to chemistry. But I use prime and have had no ill affects and all positives.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

Thanks so much! From what you said, I understand that most of these conditioners don't put an emphasis on fluoride neutralization. What do you know about the effects of fluoride and how it can be treated?

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:43 AM

Thanks so much! From what you said, I understand that most of these conditioners don't put an emphasis on fluoride neutralization. What do you know about the effects of fluoride and how it can be treated?

Honestly, I didn't know it was a problem.....what leads you to believe it is?  

The only thing I can think is that your fish will have a beautiful smile.

Nick L.

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, I am not a fan of having fluoride added to my drinking water. Topically applied fluoride strengthens enamel, but when ingested, it does nothing for teeth and is somewhat toxic to our bodies. That being said, I have never given any thought to how it affects fish. We filter it out of our drinking water, but I don't on fish water. I don't believe you can neutralize it, so if you are concerned, you should get a RO system. It doesn't seem to be a common concern.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

Nothing but RO is going to remove fluoride. It's not harmful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users