Photo

Maryland Collecting Small Stream Trip 11/17/2019

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

My buddy Glenn and I ventured to a creek that we often fish for smallmouth bass that is about 40 minutes from where I live to break in my new 6'  seine (purchased 2 years ago but just now getting around to using it).  The both of us had to learn a few things.  First, where were the fish.  Second, the best techniques for getting fish into the net.  The purpose of this trip was to gain practice in netting fish, and bring some fish home.

The water was very cold, and while wading the creek, we saw just a couple fish spooked as we walked along disturbing rocks, as most of the fish were either hiding under rocks and leaves, or in much deeper water.  My buddy had chest waders on, but I had only hip boots on, limiting some of the areas that we could try.  There was more water in the creek than either of us suspected.  They must have had more rain out West of us than we did.

I brought along a cultivator (like a three pronged rake, for those that don't know what it is) to help move bigger rocks.  I use this device often while fossil collecting for just that purpose.  The idea was to try the kicking shuffling method, but also use the cultivator.  We started out in moderate current, about a foot deep, in a spot that had what looked like the right rocks for darters to hide.  My main goal was to get a few more darters.  Our first attempts were futile...nothing.  

So, we tried deeper and slower water nearby, and we had instant success.  On our first attempt, we caught what I thought was a tessellated darter, but upon closer inspection later, was a greenside darter.  On our subsequent attempts, as we improved out techniques, we caught more darters.  I really wanted at least one female rainbow darter, and we succeeded with that, getting three of those.  We also caught fantail darters, and a couple more male rainbow darters for my tank.

We tried finding minnows in leaves, and with some success, hauled in several species, some that went into my tank.  We brought back a few silverjaw minnows, some spottail shiners, one creek chub, a couple rosyside dace, and a large longnose dace.  We also caught blacknosed dace, a northern hogsucker, several small sunfish that were in leaves along the deeper bank in slow water.  Overall, it was a really fun and successful afternoon trip.

On my next outing, I think that I'm going to try to find some plants for my tank.  This creek had some hydrilla, but I'm going to pass on that plant.  I'll post pics and vids of my fish later once they are used to the tank.  I brought home more fish than I had planned, so I need to be johnny on the spot with water changes to make up for the increased bioload.

Here are some pics:

Scenery shots of the creek where we collected:

IMG_1904_zpsucnpdlbx.jpg

IMG_1873_zpshbf0l7ub.jpg

Me, manning the seine.

IMG_1884_zpso3pblubg.jpg

Glenn, in between attempts.

IMG_1870_zps3uvk9wkj.jpg

One of the many juvenile sunfish that we caught in leaves near the bank.  I suspect that they were juvenile bluegills.  But, the predominant sunnie species in this creek is redbreast sunfish, so maybe they were redbreast.  The tails were pretty orange, not evident in this photo though.  I didn't keep any of the sunfish.

IMG_1877_zpsnllmii81.jpg

Northern hogsucker, released.

IMG_1881_zpsjkzkcwvx.jpg

Not sure what this is.  Central stoneroller or creek chubsucker maybe?  We released it.

IMG_1879_zpsfceebven.jpg

Here's a video explaining our catch.  As it turns out, we didn't get any rosyface shiners or tessellated darters on this trip.  But, the rest is pretty accurate.  What fun we had!

Kevin Wilson

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:07 PM

The sunny might be a redbreast or warmouth; not a bluegill. 

Fish #3 is a redhorse or jumprock; not sure which spp are in that area.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Gerald.  I suspect redbreast as well.  I fish this creek regularly, and have never caught a warmouth in it, although, I've caught them in the Potomac River drainage (C&O Canal), so I guess it's possible.  Plenty of redbreasts though.  We caught a half dozen of these sunfish yesterday.  

Based on electroshock results on-line, it looks like there are golden redhorse in this creek, drains into the Upper Potomac.  Here are the MD species in that family that have been found in the Maryland Biological Stream Survey results:

The MBSS has collected the following fishes in the family Catostomidae:

Creek chubsucker (Erimyzon oblongus)
Northern hogsucker (Hypentelium nigricans)
Shorthead redhorse (Moxostoma macrolepidotum)
White sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
Golden redhorse (Moxostoma erythrurum)

Kevin Wilson

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Now this is weird, the Maryland Biological Stream Survey doesn't show warmouth as being collected in their records, back to 1996 sampling.  I know that they're in the Potomac River drainage, because I've caught them in the C&O Canal.  I guess their just rare enough to avoid electroshock sampling all of these years?

If warmouth are missing from their data, I wonder what other species aren't listed that you'd expect to see.  Anyone know?

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users