Photo

Banded Sunfish with smallish minnows

5 replies to this topic

#1 AK907

AK907
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Pole Alaska

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Hi, I am a first time poster but an occasional lurker. I was wondering if anyone kept banded sunfish with smaller minnows.
I currently have rainbow shiners and fundulus cingulatus in my 55 gallon. I would like to add banded sunfish this spring but I am unfamiliar with their temperament. Ill go a different direction if they are incompatible.

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

That should work OK.  Banded sunfish males do fight with each other, but I don't think they'll consider shiners as a threat worth chasing.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:01 AM

I don't keep banded sunfish yet. But my next tank I plan to keep them with darters, dace, and killifish. I am thus very interested in your tank. If you set it up please let us know the results!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

That should work OK.  Banded sunfish males do fight with each other, but I don't think they'll consider shiners as a threat worth chasing.

One of my bluespots was living happily with one of those 1.5 inch mudminnows you sent me... until one day while I was feeding mysis and the mudimmow charged out to eat some and so did the bluespot and he turned and inhaled the mudminnow (all but the tail).  

Maybe it was a feeding frenzy, but given the opportunity... if it fits, we eats it.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 AK907

AK907
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Pole Alaska

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

One of my bluespots was living happily with one of those 1.5 inch mudminnows you sent me... until one day while I was feeding mysis and the mudimmow charged out to eat some and so did the bluespot and he turned and inhaled the mudminnow (all but the tail).  

Maybe it was a feeding frenzy, but given the opportunity... if it fits, we eats it.

#6 AK907

AK907
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Pole Alaska

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

I think deep down I knew that was the answer.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users