Wetsuit advice for creek snorkeling?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

I want to do more snorkeling in the Missouri Ozarks. I feel I need some sort of thin wetsuit to stay warm enough for long periods, but I have no idea about what to get.

Can anyone offer advice on this? I'm thinking maybe 1 mm may be warm enough? But I don't know whether to go with sleeveless, full length vs thigh-length, etc.

Any help? And any particular brands or sources?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

I've bought from these folks and had a good experience.

https://www.leisurepro.com/

I recommend buying a "farmer john" style two piece; overalls and a jacket.  I wear the long sleeve jacket (it also has shorts) even sometimes when I dont need it for sunburn protection and extended wet time (rivers and creeks are cooler than you think).  And then when you get into mountain streams or spring runs you an wear the overall looking part underneath and have double coverage on your chest and groin area to hold in the body heat.  Also recommend buying a cap with a chin strap to keep your head warm and keep the cold water out of your ears.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 DaveW

DaveW
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

Many thanks, Michael!

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

I'll echo Michael's advice. I too use a two piece farmer john wetsuit. I think they're more versatile and perhaps easier to put on than a single, full body suit (but those work fine too). 

As for some of your other questions, 1mm provides almost no warmth and will only be usable in mid-summer when the water is already warm enough to be fairly comfortable in without a wetsuit (mid 70s to 80s). If you want a summer wetsuit that will actually provide a little bit of warmth, I would recommend 3mm instead. However, the best stuff (chub nests and minnows/darters in spawning color) happens in mid to late spring when the water is in the 60s, and for that I would recommend a 5mm to 7mm wetsuit that covers your full body (with hood, booties, and perhaps gloves). 

Good luck! The Missouri Ozarks have lots of great snorkeling streams.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

all good points, I agree with Isaac, mine is a 5mm I think (both parts)

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:00 AM

Yep - all good advise here.  I've used several different styles and thickness over the years.  As mentioned, the farmer john and shorty (both in 3mm) and a hood combo is incredibly versatile.  You can use individually or combine to have a total of 6mm across your torso and groin.  I can't stress the importance of a hood.  Keeping your head and neck warm will lengthen the amount of time you can spend in the water.  If properly cared for a wetsuit will last you a long time.

Willie P

#7 DaveW

DaveW
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Isaac and Willie...I will take all your advice to heart!

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

This was the last package i bought.

I've gone through a LOT of wetsuits.  5 mils keeps me much warmer than my previous 2/3.  Summer i'm often bareskin but 5 mil makes spring and fall nice.

Nifty package, great suit.  Gloves... too hard to deal with cameras and such but maybe handy.  These boots are too lightweight for tromping up and down rocky streams.  The hood is too much, too full.  Hard to put on and you can't hear.  My favorite by far is a cap that covers my ears.  Cold water going in your ears is a shiver.

If you get a full wetsuit get zippers in the ankles.

https://www.divers-s...CFYEZgQodA04E-g

They have plenty of other options.  It is best to try one on if you can.  The Ozarks are great.  NANFA has had several gatherings out that way.  MO twice, AR, OK.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users