Photo

Breeding Red River Pupfish

3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:23 PM

I have a group of 6 rrp. I read that they can breed when they are at least .5 inches long and over. All of my specimens are over this length. Is there anything that I need to do to induce spawing or is it just a matter of waiting?

Any help is greatly appreciated

#2 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:05 PM

I've not kept these fish before but I was reading about them. The males are apparently very territorial in the breeding season. I would separate out a male with 1 or more females and see what happens. /shrug sorry I am not more help.

#3 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

I can't help with any specifics either.  The biggest things to consider (with any species you are trying to breed) is photoperiod, water temperature, and spawning medium.

I know you probably have already read this, but this seemed pretty useful for describing habitat and spawning in the wild.  Now that I have read this, it seems RRP spawn throughout a large chunk of the year in variable temperature.  So in the case, you may just have to do like minorhero said and "see what happens".

http://txstate.fishe...fluviatilis.htm

Willie P

#4 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:20 PM

I really appreciate the input. For now, like ya'll said, I'll just wait and see if any of them will color up, and then once they do, separate them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users