Photo

Western Kentucky species identification help?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KlassicHobbies

KlassicHobbies
  • NANFA Guest
  • Western Kentucky

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:58 PM

Hi everyone, Im very excited to start delving into native fish, especially those local to me. I work for the USGS so I am always in and around our local rivers. Being an avid fisherman, a native species tank has always been on my list. I have grown up raising Angelfish by the thousands, and a few dozen different African cichlids species. Currently on well water, where the pH is 8.3 roughly. Need to get reliable hardness test kits though. So far everyone is taking frozen brine shrimp as well as Kens growth formula, a staple in raising my cichlids.

I got a wild hair the other day and visited Clarks River, a tributary to the Tennessee River, and managed to snag several darters. I had hoped for some rainbows, but missed the one I think I saw. Theyre quick!

Im fairly confident the majority are slough darters, Etheostoma gracile. They were much more orange and turquoise when caught. The one in the back right corner I believe is a fantail darter after reading several posts. If there are Johnnys in there, I have no idea how to distinguish them from female sloughs. The 32 dollar question.... what is this guy front and center with red on the back third of its body? Thanks in advance!

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:11 AM

I am not able to see pictures.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 KlassicHobbies

KlassicHobbies
  • NANFA Guest
  • Western Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:41 PM

My apologies, lets try this

Attached Files

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

Fish in back looks like one of the following; Striped Tail Darter Etheostoma kennicotti / Fantail Darter E. flabellare / Spot-tailed Darter E. squamiceps / Fringed Darter E. crossopterum. Darter in foreground does not ring a bell. 

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

I am very familiar with this watershed.

The darter in the very back is likely E. flabellare.  The one in the very front is a Bandfin darter, E. zonistium.  The middle darters are actually Speckled darters (E. stigmaeum).  

Stripetail darters and Fringed darters aren’t in this watershed.  They are in the lower Cumberland drainages and/or direct tributaries of the Ohio River northeast of this area.   If you see a E. squamiceps complex species in the lower Tennessee/Clarks drainage it is a Guardian darter (E. oophylax).  They are common in the Clarks River though I don’t really see any in your pics.

FWIW Rainbow darters are very rare in far western KY.   Perkins creek near Paducah has the only known KY population west of the Tennessee River and it is robust.   They are also found in some of the feeder creeks to KY Lake in the LBL area.   Turkey creek in particular has a bunch of them and it is public access.

BTW you’ve found a great watershed to fish/sample.  Clarks River is one of the best in KY for diversity.  You have only scratched the surface as to what you may find.

#6 KlassicHobbies

KlassicHobbies
  • NANFA Guest
  • Western Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:04 PM

Wow!!! That is spot on to me!!! That is such a subtle difference between Speckled and Slough darters, I would probably never would have been able to tell unless both were right in front of me. Ill have to check out Perkins creek, I usually work out of Massac Creek and Humphrey creek near LaCenter. Since I have the tank space, I think itd be interesting to give each creek its own aquarium. Im very excited to see what else is out there.

Is there a good reference somewhere for what species are abundant and which ones are critical of some sorts? Theres obviously so many species of these fish out there, I just dont want to take the wrong ones out of their ecosystem if the population is struggling. Thanks guys!

#7 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

Attached File  2FCB1A0A-2DF0-4CE6-BFEC-22A7EAAC02CC.jpeg   90.7KB   0 downloads

Speckled darter (male) from Clarks River just a few weeks ago

Attached File  C446D4B8-2970-465E-AEA4-661E283D3940.jpeg   88.34KB   0 downloads

Slough darter (male)

#8 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Wow!!! That is spot on to me!!! That is such a subtle difference between Speckled and Slough darters, I would probably never would have been able to tell unless both were right in front of me. Ill have to check out Perkins creek, I usually work out of Massac Creek and Humphrey creek near LaCenter. Since I have the tank space, I think itd be interesting to give each creek its own aquarium. Im very excited to see what else is out there.

Is there a good reference somewhere for what species are abundant and which ones are critical of some sorts? Theres obviously so many species of these fish out there, I just dont want to take the wrong ones out of their ecosystem if the population is struggling. Thanks guys!

Humphrey creek isn’t bad to fish/sample.  It gets more diverse the closer you get to the Ohio River.  Main darters are Mud, Slough and Bluntnose i.e mostly lowland species.  I’ve had better luck with cyprinids in Massac than darters.   Especially overflow species from the Ohio.

That said, Ballard and Boatwright WMA is right in your backyard.  Tons of overflow species from the Ohio River when the water recedes.  Arguably the most diverse and unique ecosystem in the entire state.   Highly recommended for fish and other wildlife observation if you haven’t been there.  It is a true gem of the state.

#9 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

BTW if you go to the KDFWR website you can search fish species by county.  It is not 100% accurate and needs updating but it is a good starting point and will tell you which species are legal to keep in KY.   

#10 KlassicHobbies

KlassicHobbies
  • NANFA Guest
  • Western Kentucky

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:08 AM

Thanks again Jason. Definitely see the difference between the two. The dorsal is quite literally speckled. Those hang on baskets (by Lees I think) seem to be a must for photography. Any recommended capture method? For me I took two ten inch green aquarium nets, and slit a piece of air tubing down one side. Several zip ties, sharp edges removed. Walked up behind them slowly with a net in each hand and quickly brought the nets together. It seemed productive, but I assume theres better techniques for different scenarios?

Side note: its day 3 and everyone I believe is eating flake food. I use only food from kensfish.com for my chickidsand the specific flake they are eating is Kens premium spirulina flake. More so than frozen brine shrimp I think. Frozen blood worms are up next.

#11 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Here is a better pic of a colored up E. gracile.   You can see some similarities to E. stigmaeum.  

Attached File  201BEBFC-E11B-4E9E-BD86-747CE49A2D6E.jpeg   120.79KB   0 downloads

In terms of gear you need to go to Jonahs aquarium online and order a perfect dip net.  It will last you for years and hold up to the rigors of aggressive collecting.  You’re going to need to dig around in snags, undercut banks and other debris to find many of the best specimens, including darters and madtoms.   This dipnet is pretty heavy duty and very cost effective over the long haul.

I get my photo tanks from Tenkarabum online in the microfishing section.  I use 3x5 and individual tanks for micros.  Some folks build their own but it’s easier for me to to just buy them online since they’re not real expensive.

Good luck to you.  Feel free to PM me if you want since I am familiar with the area.

#12 KlassicHobbies

KlassicHobbies
  • NANFA Guest
  • Western Kentucky

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hey Jason, heres a better pic of this guy. Hopefully his color isnt too faded for a good ID. Tried to message you this photo but didnt see an attachment option. Thanks!

Attached Files

#13 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:13 AM

Yes that looks like a Fantail darter, E. flabellare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users