Has anyone bred bluebreast darters?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:15 PM

There isnt much info about nothonotus darter captive breeding. Has anyone succeeded?

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:13 PM

I don't know of much out there either. I am a big fan of all Nothonotus. Not sure what it is about them, but I like em. Bluebreast are the best example of the clade.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:20 AM

Breeding?  Yes.  Successful recruitment of offspring?  No.  I was lucky enough on March 23rd of 2016 to catch a pair spawning in my 150 community.  (Pics below).  The tank was in the living room which had lots of ambient light from a XL bay window.  There was a tank light which may have been on from maybe 3-9PM?  (Not exactly sure.  Was only for 'viewing during prime hours').  The tank was chilled year round to 66-67F.  I attribute the success to the natural/ambient light signaling the arrival of Spring.  Since the tank temps were consistent all year, it was less likely to have been a factor as there wasn't a cool down and gradual warming.

Warning: Poor quality, gratuitous, whoopie-making photos below....

They spawned under the butt-end of a piece of driftwood.

Attached File  Spawning site.png   191.68KB   2 downloads

The male approaches.  The females broadside can be seen under the log.

Attached File  Male approach.png   242.57KB   2 downloads

The act.  (This is actually a still from a video where he's doing his 'shimmy' next to her).

Attached File  Breeding.png   243.81KB   2 downloads

Eggs.  Gone the next day.  There were a lot of other darters in this tank that made quick work of them.

Attached File  Eggs.jpg   81.46KB   2 downloads

I would have loved to pull the eggs and raised the young but didn't have the time and resources to do so.  Hopefully the vague info above can get you started.

Nick L.

#4 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info...you got the touch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users