Photo

40 breeder

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ajceren

Ajceren
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

I have a 40 breeder that I am planning on stocking within the next week or two. I already have a 20g with bluespotted sunfish, and I am planning on adding some minnows to it. I also have a 75g that is going to be stocked with longear sunfish. I am obliviously in favor of sunfish of some kind, but I was wondering what you guys would stock the 40b with. I want to have minnows and darters in it with whatever else I stock it with. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

I would encourage you to stock minnows and shiners. If you do add some darters, you may want to add them slowly. They don't do well with flake foods and don't compete well with shiners. You will need to feed them frozen foods and get them down to the darters. A turkey baster works.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 TurbineBlade

TurbineBlade
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

Agreed.  I recently converted my 75 gallon into a dace/mosquitofish/madtom tank and enjoy it far more than I did its previous iteration as a "sunfish" tank.  My experience with sunfish is not unlike keeping large central American cichlids -- any "community" you have one day, is not necessarily the community you have the next.  It's remarkable honestly - you can literally go for months without issue and suddenly flip the lights on and boom. That's just the nature of larger sunfish kept in tanks that fit most American homes.  

The older I get the more I appreciate watching lots of small fish swim around.  

"Trying is the first step toward failure!" -- Homer Simpson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users