Earthworm flakes for darters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

Everyone knows darters are notorious for rejecting flake foods and I know a few of you have tried earthworm flakes with limited success. The texture of the flakes may be a problem as some of you mentioned and also the species of worm being flaked could be an issue. 2 kinds of live earthworms that I tried to feed to my sunfish were always rejected: manure worms and green worms. Im guessing the first taste like crap and the green worms maybe taste too much like spinach. If these are the ones they make flakes from no wonder the darters wont eat them. I dont know if these flakes are made from night crawlers or not but this might make a difference. If not, you may need to make your own worm jerky.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:56 PM

The red wrigglers or manure worms are known to be toxic.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

I would concentrate effort on flake foods made mostly from crustaceans or insects. Even the latter seems more based on fish meal. In nature some darters seem to consume aufwuchs at least incidentally. Otherwise try using freeze-dried option like water fleas, and bloodworms. Frozen bloodworms and frozen mixes for marine species also good. A variety.

Consider co-mingling some small minnows and making so there is a strong current in the tank. Then introduce the food items in small amounts to the current makes items move. The combination of movement plus minnows eating same items will increase odds the darters will at least dabble in consuming the dry food items. For me, getting the wild fish onto the prepared feeds involves many small feedings where they are never coming off with a fat belly after a feeding, at least not until they are obviously pounding down the feed, then step up the volume in the feed allotments.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:43 PM

Never had any luck with flakes of any kind no matter how hungry they were. Mine love frozen bloodworms and sometimes Mysis shrimp. They'll even try to scarf down tiny pieces of earthworm, but their mouths are too small and getting the food to the bottom requires spot-feeding. However, I've had luck with them eating tiny minnow fry. Darters are micro-predators.

That said, it takes time and small feedings to get wild fish interested and onto commercial / prepared foods. Hungry fish are healthy fish, and it makes them more inclined to try new foods. Took me 7 months to get my longear sunfish to take flake food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users