Photo

Good Camera for Taking Pictures / Videos Above Water Up Close

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:05 PM

I am looking for advice on good camera for taking pictures while looking down. Some interest in looking at nest bound fish, but also those in raceways and of arthropods in terrestrial settings.

I will pay dues if solid advice provided.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:31 AM

Cameras are one of these areas you can spend a lot of money on. It will definitely be helpful to decide on a budget up front. The difference in technology between a 400 dollar system and a 8000 dollar system is significant. 

Assuming you are not looking for a waterproof camera and are looking for something under 1000 dollars you will be in the market for an entry level mirrorless camera. That way you can switch out lenses to get macro or telephoto as needed. You should consider also posting this question over at dpreview.com since they specialize in cameras they will better be able to direct you to a specific model. Again, budget will be needed.

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:42 AM

I am not good enough with cameras to make sense of reviews.

Current setup I have is based on Nikon D80 with the following lenses:

Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm 1:3.5 56-GII ED

Nikon DX AF-NIKKOR 55-200 mm 1:4-5,6G ED

Nikon N AF-S MICRO NIKKOR 105 mm 1:2.8 G ED

The limitation may be with D80. It is heavy and thus far not been all that good for videos. I would be interested in upgrading memory for video clips if feasible.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#4 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

Being an entomologist, I can respond to your query on arthropod photography. I use a Canon D7 SLR with a 60 mm macro lens that goes down to 1:1, the size of the object is the same size on the photo image. At that magnification, I can still use the on-camera flash effectively, partly because this macro lens extends slightly into the camera body, resulting in less lens extension in front of the camera. With the camera providing 18 megapixels, I can magnify even one-eighth inch long insects into sharp images for projection in large auditoriums using PhotoShop. I use a different lens and strobe for smaller insects, both of which cost several thousand dollars.

There is likely a macro Nikkor lens that will give you 1:1 or 2:1 magnification. Checking a large camera store website such as B&H Photography will give you options and prices. Most companies produce two types of macro lens. One is ideal for butterfly and flower photos as it focuses about 3 feet away, but only gives you a magnification of about 3:1 (image one-third of actual size on the photo frame). The advantage is that you don't have to get too close to your subject, the disadvantage is you are limited to larger bugs. The other type, the kind that I have, gives you higher magnification on the photo frame, but focuses at the highest magnification about one inch from the subject. That means that you have to stalk the insect to get close enough to get its photo before it notices you and flies away. You can also take butterfly photos, but you have to get within a foot or so of the subject to fill the frame.

The Olympus tg3 is a cheaper, fixed lens camera that focuses at 1:1 about one inch from the subject in macro mode, allowing use of the on-camera flash without shadows and the flash can be decreased in power to avoid over-exposure. This camera has been discontinued, but it can be purchased on the internet. A ring flash diffuser is also available that works well. Newer versions like the tg4 do not have these properties.

The Canon D7 was used to film "Mad Max" and some other production movies, so it has excellent video capabilities. Perhaps your Nikon camera is better with video than you realize, although I understand that Canon's image stabilization is superior, making video of better quality.

Phil Nixon

Retired Extension Entomologist

University of Illinois

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 08 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

The D80 cannot do video at all. The simplest answer to your question is to upgrade to a newer Nikon DSLR that can do video. That way you can keep on using your current lenses. If you want something that weighs a little less and can do video, you could consider something like the D5600 or D3500.

Phil, he already owns a great 1:1 macro lens in the 105mm Micro.

#6 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

I am not good enough with cameras to make sense of reviews.

Current setup I have is based on Nikon D80 with the following lenses:

Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm 1:3.5 56-GII ED

Nikon DX AF-NIKKOR 55-200 mm 1:4-5,6G ED

Nikon N AF-S MICRO NIKKOR 105 mm 1:2.8 G ED

The limitation may be with D80. It is heavy and thus far not been all that good for videos. I would be interested in upgrading memory for video clips if feasible.

Soooo it depends on how much you want to slim down and also what you want to spend. A lot of the weight and bulk is going to be coming from those lenses. They are all solid lenses and assuming you want to keep using the glass you already invested in then your best midrange camera would be the Nikon D7500.

If you really really want a smaller camera and don't mind ditching all the glass you have to buy new lenses in a new system then you could go with a Sony Alpha 6500. You will spend a lot more because not only does the camera cost more but you will need to buy lenses you will need and it really is NOT that much smaller then the 7500 once you take into account lenses.

There are better cameras for a LOT more money but unless you tell me your budget is substantially higher then these are good starting points. Ideally you would go in person to a store that sells theses cameras (best buy in a pinch) and hold them so you can see how they feel before making a purchase.

#7 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Isaac. I overlooked the Micro lens.

Switching camera bodies in order to save money on new lenses can work well. I still use a telephoto lens purchased for an old Canon Ftb film camera. I used an old Macro lens for a few of years before I bought the new 60 mm Macro.

Phil Nixon

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

Well that looks like good advice. Welcome back to membership status Centrarchid!!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users