Photo

Powerheads and micro natives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

Hi everyone! I am still torn about what I want to do with my 10 gallon; however, one idea I am strongly considering is a colony of a micro native (perhaps H. formosa, Elassoma, or L. ommata) or a community with H. formosa and one of those other species (or perhaps a trio of Lucania goodei or a small Fundulus species like cingulatus or rubrifrons). However, this is intended to be a high tech planted tank with CO2 added, and the only way I am going to be able to diffuse the CO2 is with a powerhead - obviously not safe for little 1 inch fishes (and certainly not their fry).

My idea is to take a powerhead (either 60 GPH or 130 GPH) and attach two sponge filters to its intake using some silicone tubing and a tee valve. My thought is that this will spread out the intake flow enough to avoid either sucking the fish up or leaving them stuck against the sponge filter, while not being nearly as complex as installing a hamburg matten filter (my first idea to this effect). My question is, would this actually work? Thanks :)

Edited by Joshaeus, 10 July 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Yes, this is a good way to do it. The increased surface area of the sponge will make it safe for fry if some common sense is used. Don't get the highest GPH powerhead and don't get the smallest sponge filter. Having the ball valve will allow you some fine tuning. Also you are going to increase your bio-filtration and mechanical filtration. Added benefit is you will have a couple active sponges, if you start a new tank, pull a live sponge out of this one, stick it in new tank and instant cycled filtration. Gives you a lot of flexibility.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

Yes, this is a good way to do it. The increased surface area of the sponge will make it safe for fry if some common sense is used. Don't get the highest GPH powerhead and don't get the smallest sponge filter. Having the ball valve will allow you some fine tuning. Also you are going to increase your bio-filtration and mechanical filtration. Added benefit is you will have a couple active sponges, if you start a new tank, pull a live sponge out of this one, stick it in new tank and instant cycled filtration. Gives you a lot of flexibility.

I was planning on getting some large sponges (about 4.5 inches long...I do not recall the width). So the 60 GPH powerhead would work better? And if one of the sponges clogs and has to be replaced, is there any way to clean that clogged sponge enough to use it again, or will I be in a slow but constant cycle of buying new sponges?

#4 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

I was planning on getting some large sponges (about 4.5 inches long...I do not recall the width). So the 60 GPH powerhead would work better? And if one of the sponges clogs and has to be replaced, is there any way to clean that clogged sponge enough to use it again, or will I be in a slow but constant cycle of buying new sponges?

Argh...forgot to ask a third question before the option to edit was removed...would H. formosa work as a dither fish for other small fishes?

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

Naw, squeeze them out semi regularly in non chlorinated water to remove the gunk, put them right back into use. Takes a couple minutes of squeezing and wringing, but they last years. On sizing, I can't tell you exactly, but in a ten gallon, the 60 is more than enough. Your valve will allow you to temper that flow as well, if it feels like too much. Sponge filters are greatly underrated nowadays.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

In my now version of my 20g oyster reef tank, I'm keeping 9 rainwater killies with using a powerhead.  The fish have not had a problem with it at all.  They seem to even like the current once in a while.  They are no old enough to spawn, and the males are displaying breeding coloration, but I haven't seen fry yet.  I don't know what will happen if they lay eggs, and I doubt that I'd see them anyway.  I have a good amount of Ulva in the tank, and the killies take refuge in it often.  If there were fry in there, my lone male sheepshead minnow probably stuffs himself with them.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, but, just wanted to point out that I'm keeping similar fish that were about a 3/4" long when I caught them (about 1.5-1.75" long now) without a problem.  I don't remember exactly how strong the powerhead is, but it moves a fair amount of water.

Kevin Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users