Photo

How large do fish need to be to be safe from dragonfly nymphs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:44 AM

Hi everyone! Today I found a 1" damselfly nymph resting on a lily pad in my water garden outside...there are no fish in the water garden this year, but since there will be next year I wanted to see roughly how large a fish would need to be to be safe from either dragonfly or damselfly nymphs. I am assuming that pygmy sunfishes, Heterandria formosa, and Leptolucania ommata would not be safe, as the nymph I saw was as large or larger than any of those fish. Thanks :)

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

1.5 inches

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

1.5 inches

Is that the size needed to be safe from either damsel or dragonfly nymphs? If so, it sounds like the minimum size would be roughly the size of a female bluefin killifish.

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

The species of dragonfly was not given, so I made assumption of worse case scenario with the Green Darner Anax junius which can be an issue in my bass and bluegill ponds. The larger nymphs can damage fish pushing 1.5 inches. The would outright consume a female Blue Killifish.

Species of insect important. You can not leave it a the family or genus level.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

Bummer! I am not an entomologist, so I have no clue what species it was. Oh well...worst case scenario is always good to prepare for. Thanks :) So...adult, say, enneacanthus or perhaps american flagfish would be safe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users