Photo

Tank size for sunfish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AvicLitee

AvicLitee
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Im curious how many sunfish people keep in what size tanks. I have two greens in a 55 and two smaller greens in a 20. We like them in the living room because they are interactive and entertaining, but Ive been on the fence for a while about getting something bigger for the basement (the ones in the smaller tank will eventually move for sure). We would just miss watching them all day!

Edited by AvicLitee, 26 October 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#2 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

One of my favorite tanks of all time was my 150 gallon sunfish tank but  I also enjoyed a 125 with Longears and Orangespots and some larger MO minnows and shiners some time ago.  Then again a 55 gallon with Orangespots or Bantams and shiners would be fine.  The idea is to pick the largest tank above 30 gallons, you are comfortable with and there are some Lepomis that will entertain you.  And if you must go the smaller route switch to Black Banded, Banded and/or Bluespots though not Lepomis they'll do as a substitute but I'd still prefer a bigger tank even for those.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#3 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

I kept six in a 75 gallon once, with two sleeper gobies and a juvenile smallmouth bass. That was a fun tank. One of the sunfish learned to catch a crayfish bigger than it could swallow and swim into the glass until it broke apart. The rest learned it from that one, but I've never seen that behavior in another tank. Sometimes I would dump in a bucket of mosquito fish, and the bass would eat until its stomach was full, catch one more and hold it in its throat so it couldn't close its gills, then grab one more and just hold it by the tail until it digested enough to swallow.

#4 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:02 AM

I have a single long ear in a 125 with lots of large minnows. Super cool tank, long ear is very tame and is out all the time. Being the only sunfish removes any aggression issues.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#5 TN GREENIE

TN GREENIE
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:18 PM

ive got a green sunfish in a 40 breeder 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users