• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azteca

azteca
  • NANFA Guest
  • Québec

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:03 PM

Hello.

When you pick up thousands of mosquito larvae, how do you eliminate predatory insects, (Dytiscidea,Notonectidea).

A+

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

Turkey baster, nets, pouring, ...

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 azteca

azteca
  • NANFA Guest
  • Québec

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:59 AM

Hello.

If for Infusoria,Daphnia,Rotifers etc.....it is easy to kill predatory insects and be able to give this Zooplankton in large quantities to my fry without fear.

It is more complicated for Mosquito larvae since they breathe on the surface.

This spring I will try different light color in my traps.

Also I will watch the breathing time of each species.

A+

Edited by azteca, 23 February 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#4 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

In a bucket, backswimmers (Notonectidae) will soon drift to the surface where you can catch them in a quick sweep with a small aquarium net without very much by-catch.

I have kept adult predaceous diving beetles (Dytiscidae) with small fish without any losses, so they can be netted out of aquaria at your leisure. However, predaceous diving beetle larvae, water tigers, are a different story. Generally, water tigers move to sit on the sides or bottom of the bucket after a few minutes, so you should be able to scoop mosquito larvae off of the water surface without including them. Watch for the occasional interloper when you add the mosquito larvae to your tank. 

I have much more trouble with damselfly naiads getting collected with mosquito larvae. They will not be a threat to larger fish, but fry are at risk. I try to net out the damselflies as I add the mosquito larvae to the aquarium, but one is occasionally missed. They can usually be spotted later sitting on the plants and netted out.

Phil Nixon

#5 azteca

azteca
  • NANFA Guest
  • Québec

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

Hello.

To be able to give large quantities of Infusoria and Daphnia, to my very little Yellow perch fry without fear.

I plug the entrance and leave the trap in the water, completely submerged so the insects can no longer breathe.

A+

#6 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

If you try to drown aquatic insects, you need to be watchful after they are released. Although mosquito larvae and pupae are easily drowned by not allowing them access to the surface, many other aquatic insects are not. Backswimmers and other aquatic Hemipters as well as predaceous diving beetles and other aquatic adult Coleoptera trap air bubbles when they dive that allow them to remain submerged for long periods of time. Recent research reveals that the air bubble and submersion results in physiological changes within the insect allowing them to survive much longer than previously thought. Water tigers, damselfly naiads, and other immature insects have gills and gill-like structures that allow them to remain submerged indefinitely. 

Phil Nixon

University of Illinois Entomologist

#7 azteca

azteca
  • NANFA Guest
  • Québec

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:25 AM

Hello.

I am already looking forward to this spring to see the breathing times of the species.

I can't wait to compared the breathing time between Dytiscidea,Notonectidea and the Mosquito larvae.

A+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users