Blackworms culture

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

Blackworms can be propagated using using a plastic food container with no more than 4 inches dechlorinated water with an airline bubbler placed in a cool location. Blanch some Brussels Sprouts and when cool cut them in half. Put pieces in with Blackworms. The next day the worms will be all over the sprouts. Dunk the sprout halves in your fish tank to feed your fish. Some sprout debris may break off in the tank which can be netted out after the fish are done feeding on the worms or the scuds in your gravel will eat it overnite. Add more sprouts as they dissolve. The culture may smell of cabbage so change the water if it starts to get yucky. Finally, some gravel in the container may help the worms divide themselves into more worms.

Edited by PBK, 12 April 2021 - 09:46 PM.

#2 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:16 AM

I have to try this. What else beside brussels sprouts do you think might work?

#3 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:36 AM

Broccoli works too. Don’t over blanch the sprouts or broccoli. Good luck.

#4 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:02 PM

Interesting!  Do you have any pictures to share?  Can you describe what temperature that you mean when you say "cool"?  How much gravel do you add and does it matter the size of the gravel? Do you have a preferred source for your starter culture of black worms?

#5 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:05 PM

Lilyea, no pics. 65-70F. Just cover bottom of tray with thin layer of pea gravel. Stir the worms gently around in the gravel to break them up when changing the water and have a good airflow thru the water. I use a shoebox size container since I don’t have a lot of fish and have other foods to feed them. I got my Blackworms for my local fish store. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users