Photo

H. formosa females

4 replies to this topic

#1 AK907

AK907
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Pole Alaska

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

I bought some H. formosa from a guy in Florida (Id love to collect them someday but I live WAY outside their range). They all arrived healthy after 5 days in the mail but upon closer inspection, not a single fish out of 11 was male. I contacted the seller and he told me that it is very plausible that they were all female as those are much easier to catch and that they should start dropping fry at some point.

I was just curious what your guys thoughts were on this. I was looking online a bit and I couldnt find anything on wether least killies store sperm or not. I also was thinking about them fasting for 5 days in the mail and perhaps reabsorbing any developing fry during transit (which is why I was wondering about their ability to store sperm). Im basically in wait and see mode. In the two weeks since theyve shown up, Ive been able to put a lot of weight back on them and many have rounded bellies.

#2 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:06 PM

I think that you will have fry soon, some of which will likely be male

#3 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

I've run into a similar situation before. I bought about 2 dozen many many years ago and only saw one male in the whole bunch, but many of the female were already gravid and started dropping fry pretty soon, many of which were males.  In February I caught and kept some wild fish.  They were all females.  I brought 5 females home, and now I have 6 females and 5 males, and several fry too young/small to sex.  You may run into something similar.  I'd like to grab another batch of them at some point to reduce the potential for incest.

Willie P

#4 AK907

AK907
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Pole Alaska

Posted 30 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

I've run into a similar situation before. I bought about 2 dozen many many years ago and only saw one male in the whole bunch, but many of the female were already gravid and started dropping fry pretty soon, many of which were males.  In February I caught and kept some wild fish.  They were all females.  I brought 5 females home, and now I have 6 females and 5 males, and several fry too young/small to sex.  You may run into something similar.  I'd like to grab another batch of them at some point to reduce the potential for incest.

Thanks its reassuring that youve had similar experiences with an initial batch of females populating out a tank. I appreciate the replies.

Edited by AK907, 30 April 2021 - 11:49 PM.

#5 RobinSMith19

RobinSMith19
  • NANFA Guest
  • Atlanta

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:47 PM

Hey! Who is the expert in the matter. Can someone give a personal consultation? write to direct!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users