Photo

Breeding Common Shiners in aquarium

6 replies to this topic

#1 DPFW

DPFW
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience breeding common shiners in aquariums?  Or does anyone know of any resources that I could read up on that discusses how to get them to breed? 

I have small tanks (10 and 20 gallons) and have the ability to control the temperature in the room.  Does anyone on here have any experience breeding them?  I'm looking for advice specific to Common shiners.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

#2 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:25 AM

I have one common shiner, all I can tell you is that I think 10 or 20 gallons might be too small - mine got really stressed without a lot of space to swim around. Once I moved it to a tank with more room it started thriving; it stopped getting diseases and started growing more rapidly, especially girth wise. It sounds like a really interesting idea, I'd love to hear about your progress, they tend to look bland, but the breeding colors are pretty wild.

#3 DPFW

DPFW
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:29 AM

I have one common shiner, all I can tell you is that I think 10 or 20 gallons might be too small - mine got really stressed without a lot of space to swim around. Once I moved it to a tank with more room it started thriving; it stopped getting diseases and started growing more rapidly, especially girth wise. It sounds like a really interesting idea, I'd love to hear about your progress, they tend to look bland, but the breeding colors are pretty wild.

Thanks for letting me know.  I was concerned about the tank being small, but wasn't sure.  What size tank did you use (you said you moved it)?  Just curious

#4 El Todd

El Todd
  • NANFA Member
  • Silver Spring Md

Posted 18 May 2021 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for letting me know.  I was concerned about the tank being small, but wasn't sure.  What size tank did you use (you said you moved it)?  Just curious

It was in a tank set up for darters and smaller minnows - it was very shallow, only 11 inches of water. I moved it to a standard 55 gallon that didn't have much structure and it's doing much better. It's still pretty young, if things go the way I want, I'll be able to move it to a 9 ft. long tank before it gets too much bigger. It's not a huge fish, but it loves the current and seems to want lots of space. Very different behavior compared to something like a bluntnose minnow which just kink of casually strolls around the tank all day picking at things throughout the water column.

#5 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:40 PM

I have 4 common shiners in a 125. Started out about an inch a piece, fast forward 2 years and they are all 8+ and really fat. Be careful introducing smaller fish with them. Anything that fits in their mouth is fair game.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#6 DPFW

DPFW
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:19 PM

I have 4 common shiners in a 125. Started out about an inch a piece, fast forward 2 years and they are all 8+ and really fat. Be careful introducing smaller fish with them. Anything that fits in their mouth is fair game.

Thanks for this info!  Have you had any breeding happen (I realize there's only four..)

#7 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:44 AM

Not yet, tank is in my basement and fairly cool all winter. Spring warm up may make something happen.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users