Photo

Hydra

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lucania200

Lucania200
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 June 2021 - 02:01 PM

I'm having a few hydra pop up in my recently set up 20 long stream tank (they hitchhiked in on some rocks from a local stream). I'll be adding 2 fantail darters, 2 rainbow darters, and 6 yellowfin shiners at the end of next week (I'll probably add a few other darters later). Will the hydra be a problem in the tank? If I decide to breed any of the fish, I'll move them to a different tank. So fry mortality shouldn't be a problem. If the hydra will be a problem, are there any native stream fish that will eat them, and stay small enough for a 20 long?

#2 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 04 June 2021 - 02:56 PM

Shouldn't pose any kind of issues to adult fish I would think. If you want to remove them I assume any copper based medication would get rid of them

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:49 PM

Michael is right-inverts are very sensitive to copper. Then again, so are some fish species. Ive only ever used copper on marine fish. But I would (in my experience) feel comfortable using it on those species if you really think the hydra are an issue. A few here and there wouldnt be enough of a reason for me to dose a tank. Thats just me though.
Nick L.

#4 Lucania200

Lucania200
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 June 2021 - 07:58 AM

Thanks! Darn, I was kinda wanting an excuse to get another fish (haha)

#5 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 22 August 2021 - 02:56 PM

You might want to put all your fish in another tank temporarily them pour some peroxide into the infested tank and leave it overnite. Things will start to bubble and the hydra should start to shrivel. Check the tank the next day to see if the hydra are dead. If they are, rinse well the peroxide from the tank, gravel, plants & stuff then refill the tank with clean aged water. Peroxide is pretty cheap.

Edited by PBK, 22 August 2021 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users