Yellow Perch and Logperch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

An 8-inch yellow perch is being kept with some sunfishes, including a warmouth and shadow bass that are each about 2.5 inches. It does not regard them as food, or bother them in any way. It has eaten some large (~2.5 inches) shiners. Would it be likely to regard a 4-inch logperch as food? Or is it more likely to ignore the logperch?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

Probably eat it. I had a 7" pickerel try to eat a 3.5" speckled madtom. Notice I said, try... took awhile for the madtom to heal.

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:16 PM

Probably eat it. I had a 7" pickerel try to eat a 3.5" speckled madtom. Notice I said, try... took awhile for the madtom to heal.

That's interesting. But I was trying to figure out if a yellow perch might regard a logperch as food. I was not considering putting a logperch in the pickerel tank.

My grass pickerel accidentally grabbed a pirate perch a while back. When I put the feeders in, it struck instantly, but grabbed a pirate perch instead. It missed the juvenile creek chub and got the pirate perch by accident. It was just a little too eager. It grabbed it across its back. After a few seconds, it spat out the pirate perch, and ate a chub. The marks on the pirate perch's back healed in a few days.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

Man... I must have been tired last night when I responded. Sorry about that.

It will still be food unless you keep the yellow perch well fed. My yellow perch at 4" ate 2" shiners. I wouldn't put it past it.

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, I know they prefer minnow-shaped fish, which explains why it doesn't eat the 2.5-inch sunfish. I was wondering if the logperch might be considered minnow-shaped. I guess you're saying it is. I suspected as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users