East Texas Darter and Shiner Pictures

7 replies to this topic

#1 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 14 December 2021 - 11:56 PM

Hi All,

I tried my hand at macro photography using a photo tank. This was my first attempt and I'm really excited about the possibilities that this method of photography allows. I followed the guidelines set forth in the American Currents article "Photography and Post-processing Techniques for Native Fishes" by Smith and Bissette. I also followed the guidelines from Garcia-Melo et al. in their paper, "Photafish system: An affordable device for fish photography in the wild", which appeared in Zootaxa. Both of these articles were immensely helpful.

Anyway, my sampling took place in a small tributary to the Trinity River, in southeastern Texas, in San Jacinto County. I used a combination of dip netting and fly fishing to collect my samples, although the darter and shiner where both caught using the dip net (several species of Lepomis were caught using the fly rod, but I am still trying to edit the photos).

I don't know what species of darter or shiner I captured. My guesses are either a Dusky Darter or Blackside Darter (leaning more towards Dusky). For the shiner I am guessing Emerald Shiner or Mimic Shiner. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any critiques for the photos would also be greatly appreciated, I'm still tweaking it and figuring out how best to capture images.

I threw in the crawdad photo just for fun. I don't have any idea what species it is.

Attached Images

• IMG_9343-Edit.jpg
  • IMG_9361-Edit.jpg
  • IMG_9571-Edit.jpg
  • IMG_9556-Edit.jpg
  • IMG_9557-Edit.jpg
  • IMG_9308-Edit.jpg

#2 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

Nice shots!! Love that second darter shot especially.

I unfortunately have zero experience with any of those species, and so can't be of much help with IDs. 

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

#3 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

Thanks very much. Excited to give it another go soon. 

#4 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:26 PM

Once again, awesome pictures. I'm definitely leaning towards dusky on the darter

#5 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:38 PM

Once again, awesome pictures. I'm definitely leaning towards dusky on the darter

Awesome! thanks.

#6 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 19 December 2021 - 07:30 PM

Incredible pics! How do you do it? Fish aren't exactly the most willing of subjects to be photographed....

#7 brookie13

brookie13
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:21 PM

Incredible pics! How do you do it? Fish aren't exactly the most willing of subjects to be photographed....

Thanks very much!  I followed the guidelines set forth in the American Currents article "Photography and Post-processing Techniques for Native Fishes" by Smith and Bissette. I also followed the guidelines from Garcia-Melo et al. in their paper, "Photafish system: An affordable device for fish photography in the wild", which appeared in Zootaxa. Both of these articles were immensely helpful.

I bought a 2 gallon tank at Petco and used acrylic push plates to get the fish in the proper orientation. I also hauled in my own clean water and a folding table. It took some effort and multiple trips, even with a buddy helping. Next time I need to figure out a more portable system.

#8 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:34 PM

Awesome Macro shots.  

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users