Photo

Bluespotted questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 January 2022 - 05:19 PM

I currently have a bluespotted pair in a 29 gallon tank. They are currently in there with 6 diamond tetras. I dont know how people feel about mixing like that but I had to move rather abruptly and only had enough time to take one tank with me, so I combined them. Due to this, the tank is currently set at 78F for the tetras.

My question is on aggression and stocking issues. The male seems to be doing nothing but defending his territory, a lot like a cichlid would. I know they are considered to be peaceful but I have noticed now that all the fish are slowly starting to get tears in their fins, female bluespot included. They dont seem to be under too much stress from him but still I dont really want to be seeing tears.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do?? I plan to add more plants and a good sized stick if I can find one to make more territory but is there anything else?? I also was considering adding more fish (like another female bluespot or more dither fish) but I dont know if that is pushing the limits of the tank. My apartment is small so separate tanks is not an option. If need be, I can find another home for the diamond tetras (I have some friends in the hobby) but Id prefer not to. Would love to hear your thoughts.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:18 PM

I think your high temp is driving his behaviour... I am not familiar with diamond tetras, but if you can let the tank go to room temperature, I think it would help as well (I agree that you need some sticks or large plant or something to break up the view lines).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

I think your high temp is driving his behaviour... I am not familiar with diamond tetras, but if you can let the tank go to room temperature, I think it would help as well (I agree that you need some sticks or large plant or something to break up the view lines).

Unfortunately the heater I got has only one set temp at 78 (it was cheap and all I could get at the time). The house is set to 70 but even so, its winter here (Chicago) and it always feels chilly in the house. I do plan on getting a better one but for now Ill try to add some more decor (there a good amount but Im hoping itll help still).

Do you know what bluespotted sunfish general bio load is?? They arent listed on aqadvisor, I just wanted to use it to get a ballpark idea

Edited by juhason, 17 January 2022 - 09:41 PM.

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

More structure, like a wall of plants that obstructs territorial male's view of fish trying to avoid him.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 January 2022 - 01:47 PM

More structure, like a wall of plants that obstructs territorial male's view of fish trying to avoid him.

Ok Ill definitely do that. Just glad no one is concerned about any of the fish that was my main thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users